iMac Processor updates?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mbart11, Mar 25, 2010.

1. mbart11 macrumors newbie

Anyone have any idea if Apple will put a faster processor in the Imac?

It's been about 5 months with the i7 2.8GHz and I'm debating whether to buy now or if a new processor is around the corner like the new i7-980x?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

I doubt they'll update the top-of-the line models.

If anything they'll put in arrandales in the 21.5 inch models.

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

If they update one, they will update them all.

5. WilliamG macrumors 604

I don't think we'll see iMac updates for a while yet. The i7 is outrageously fast as it is.

6. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

Trickle effect, I think. If they were to add it as an option, they would simply just take the place of the "high-end" and the old high-end would become the middle-of-the-road one and the prices would change appropriately.

I'm hoping that they make the i5/i7 standard for the 27" iMac rather than having to upgrade for it, and I'm also hoping that they make the GPU a little stronger.

As said above, keep an eye on the Buyer's Guide on the website, it's a lifeline since Apple is so secretive.

Per the guide:

Product iMac
    Recommendation: Neutral - Mid product cycle
    Last Release October 20, 2009
    Days Since Update 157 (Avg = 221)

Worst case scenario in the history of the iMac was 11 months between updates, best was like 4 months. So we're in the middle now. Keep your fingers crossed and your wallet in your pocket, you'll be glad you did! (I had a buddy in college that bought an iBook right before they came out with Tiger and he was really steamed for a good couple of months.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Apple is already using the fastest chip suitable for iMac (there Core i7 870 which is 130MHz faster but cost twice as much). Sure there are some Xeons which would suit for iMac but no way we'll see a Xeon in AIO.

My guess is that high-end will stay the same but low and mid-level will get Clarkdales.

8. m0nkeyb0y macrumors member

m0nkeyb0y

This old rumor suggests that around MArch/April, the 21 would get bumped to i3's, and the 27 would see a bump too. No one else has heard anything like that since then, but it would be nice.

http://macosrumors.com/2009/11/28/whats-next-for-imac-mac-pro/

9. skadd macrumors regular

It's not the processor that needs to be updated.