iMac Processor Upgrade "worth it" ??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by vand0576, Sep 14, 2006.

  1. vand0576 macrumors member


    Aug 11, 2006
    mpls, mn
    I will be placing my order very soon for the all new 2-foot iMac (hehe, sounds way more intimidating than 24-inches) and I was hoping somebody knew something about processors. I get to use the edu discount, so that is a good thing, but to go from the 2.16 GHz to the 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo would cost $225. Does anybody think this is a good thing to do? I consider myself a prosumer, not really having to do any actual "work" on it, but enjoy computing, and plan on ripping DVDs and music, playing games, writing papers, surfing the web, managing my digital media files, downloading torrents, etc.

    I know nothing about processors and their clock speeds, and was hoping anybody out there could help me decide if the 2.33 GHz chip is the way to go, or the 2.16 GHz is more than satisfactory for the above tasks and more. I already plan to upgrade the RAM myself to at least 2GB.

    Anybody with knowledge about processors please enlighten me.
  2. sigamy macrumors 65816

    Mar 7, 2003
    NJ USA
    There have been a few threads about this already...the general consensus is that this upgrade is a bit overpriced. You are only getting ~170Mhz extra for that $250.

    If you are the type of person who wants/needs to have the latest and greatest, then maybe get the upgrade.

    You will be able to run everything that the 2.33 can run, you just may be a second or two behind.

    Put that money toward the RAM or a new iPod!
  3. macintologist macrumors 6502

    May 3, 2004
  4. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

    Spanky Deluxe

    Mar 17, 2005
    London, UK
    You're getting a machine that's just under 8% faster for a 12.5% hike in price. That money would better got towards the upgraded graphics chip and more RAM... although personally I'd pony up and get the faster processor too.
  5. theBB macrumors 68020


    Jan 3, 2006
    I doubt if the machine itself is going to be 8% faster. Everything else being the same, 8% faster processor will probably make the machine barely any faster unless you have something that does not need much memory, but computing intensive. I don't think that is a likely combination. I would keep my $250.
  6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

    Dont Hurt Me

    Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    I would agree, its almost like Mini's 1.66 vs 1.83. You dont get much for that extra money. Ram is allways good:)
  7. aquajet macrumors 68020

    Feb 12, 2005
    Perhaps if the cost to upgrade was $100 or less, I'd consider it. But over $200 for such a small gain is simply too much money. I would use the money for something else, such as a bigger hard drive or a new printer.
  8. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

    Aug 30, 2006
    I've ordered the 2.33, even though I know it's not too good value. I decided to splurge because I'm probably never going to crack open the machine.

    However, I must stress that it is only a decision I made after adding 2Gb, the 7600, and 500Gb HD.

  9. ipoddin macrumors 6502a


    Jan 6, 2004
    Los Angeles

    Macworld just did a benchmark here. So you can see how both processors matchup. Not much of a difference. Go with the slower processor and more RAM.

Share This Page