Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
The greatest computer moment I ever had was firing up a 24" 2007 iMac. The combination of OS X ( leopard I think ), which for me was the greatest leap in user experience ever, and the design just made it a 'wow' moment. It was a night and day experience from any other computer I had ever seen or used.

8 years later I have just taken delivery of a ( late 2015) retina iMac and the 'wow' factor just isn't there. Not much has changed. It's almost identical except for screen resolution and speed -- 2 things which are natural technological progressions and not apple related.

The last 'wow' factor I had was when I changed my 2007 iMac HDD to an SSD a couple of years ago -- The speed difference kept the 2007 imac going strong until just a few days ago.

I suppose the question I am asking people, is if they think iMac has stagnated because of technology constraints, or because Steve jobs isn't there anymore?

I ask this question because 8 years before the 2007 aluminium iMac, Apple revolutionised the CRT desktop with their multi coloured 'bulbous' machines ( I owned one ), but 8 years after the 2007 aluminium no revolution has happened in both design or operating system.
Living in the present is a wonderful gift you can give yourself. Letting go of the past is part of it. Nothing lasts forever and that's advantageous. How you view your life is everything :D

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I prefer to have one built-in.

My current iMac does; it's called an All-in-One for a reason.

The iMacs for sale today would be improved by having an optical drive built-in.
That's the same line of thinking that kept serial ports, VGA ports, PS/2 mouse ports, and floppy disk drives in PCs way past the end of their useful lives. Optical discs had their day, and now we've moved on. It's called an all-in-one, not an everything-in-one.

Reactions: jordanz

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Wow factor... It's really subjective to what you're used to. We went from a 2000 Windows XP machine with lots of wires to a 2007 iMac 20" with the single body and single wire. Most people looked at it and didn't get where the computer case was hidden and even to this day (iMac still going strong in the living room) the non-Apple users compliment it's design.

If we upgraded to the new model (especially the 27") we would all be wowed again, I'm sure. It's so thin! And fast, large etcetera. But no, not that different.

What we've seen with the Mac was the 128k design which lasted very long (some 10 years), then the next big thing in the new era was the iMac G3 (lasted 4 years) which was a revolution, the iMac G4 which I have purely for decoration because it's so beautifully weird (lasted only 2 years) and then the iMac G5 which essentially set the design for today's iMac.

Maybe the iMac reached its perfect form factor? It was under Jobs after all... I can only imagine that whatever they have on the shelf for future iMacs is going to be controversial like the first MacBook Air or MacBook 12" (meaning: initially wishing they'd stuck to the old design - 'cause old is better).

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
That's the same line of thinking that kept serial ports, VGA ports, PS/2 mouse ports, and floppy disk drives in PCs way past the end of their useful lives. Optical discs had their day, and now we've moved on. It's called an all-in-one, not an everything-in-one.

Ridiculous.

Most people own dozens, if not hundreds or thousands, of DVDs. Those aren't going to magically disappear. Therefore, it would be much more convenient to have an optical drive built-in. The only reason Apple doesn't is because it wants to encourage you to buy from iTunes instead. That's also why Siri won't search your non-iTunes content in the new Apple TV.

With Tim Cook as CEO, Apple have returned to the 90s mentality.

Reactions: AlifTheUnseen

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Ridiculous.

Most people own dozens, if not hundreds or thousands, of DVDs. Those aren't going to magically disappear. Therefore, it would be much more convenient to have an optical drive built-in. The only reason Apple doesn't is because it wants to encourage you to buy from iTunes instead. That's also why Siri won't search your non-iTunes content in the new Apple TV.

Ridiculous. DVD's do magically disappear because that has been the trend of the last few years. People used to also own hundreds of VHS tapes, but that didn't stop the DVD to completely take over. People switch from physical media to digital streaming and that is a valid excuse to eliminate the SuperDrive from Macs.

We have a few dozen DVD and CDs at home, but they're old and forgotten. The music was all ripped when we started using iPods in 2006 and DVD's are not the easiest nor the best option to get movies on the big screen anymore. I only have an external SuperDrive laying around to install SolidWorks every year (my school likes the CDs over downloads apparently).

Apple isn't the only to ditch those drives nowadays BTW.

Reactions: chabig

Thermonuclear

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2009
The 2012 re-design including thinness for sake of appearance was stupid. Losing the optical drive was stupid. Moving the SD card slot to the back of the machine where the other ports are poorly placed was stupid. Losing the capability for wired and optical audio input was stupid. Losing the capability of removing the screen without destroying a seal was stupid. Having speakers which sound like a pair of kazoos was stupid. And having non-accessible or soldered RAM is very, very stupid.

Most recently, using 5400 RPM drives and cutting the flash size by 80+% on a fusion drive was stupid.

All of the above reduce either capability or flexibility, most just for the sake of an unneeded thinness.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
he 2012 re-design including thinness for sake of appearance was stupid.
<...>
very stupid.
Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel :p

I can't comment on the speakers because I don't own an iMac but generally speaking the points you raise are the issues I have with Apple as well.

With that said, I may be down on the direction of Apple, and the choices they made. I think the 5K machine still a nice computer and at least for me, should satisfy my needs.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
For me Apple have become too much style over substance. Lighter and thinner doesn't always help me get my job done - the cMBP was a more useable machine than the rMBP, and while I like the nMP the older design was more flexible as a working tool. Anyone think the new keyboard and magic trackpad are 'better' than the old one? Twice the price for what exactly? A non-removable battery and a device that can't be used while it's charging. Thanks Apple!

Apple needs to decide whether it is in the 'pro' market at all. If not, fine keep making them lighter and thinner and aiming them at the consumer, good luck when these fickle consumers change their mind on what is cool though. If they do however want to be in the pro market, then make the product set more flexible.

Next year I will be replacing my rMBP and it will be interesting to see what Apple come up with now Skylake and Mobile Xeon have been announced. I know 'Mobile Xeon' is really a core i7, but it enables some laptops to have 64GB RAM, which for me is important - I prototype a lot in VMware and 16GB just doesn't cut it. I have a second laptop with 32GB and that is just about useable, 64GB would be great. Dell and Lenovo have already announced products that will support this and they look very good. Let's see how serious Apple are, and whether there is any update to the nMP too. If the next rMBP is just lighter and thinner (and a little bit faster), then I'm out.

Reactions: Thermonuclear

Vonjover

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2015
I feel like that new iMac 4k is crippled straight out of the box. With 4k and anemic graphics to drive it, i dont think its anywhere near powerful. Apple's sacrificing so much for form factor over performance lately. And their drive for upselling just sucks. It was made to make you upgrade to the base 5k.

And not to mention, 5400 rpm hard drive, weak 1tb fusion drive upgrade, soldered RAM and weak igpu solutions. I know its for casual users, but this seems like a joke, and counter innovative.

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
The greatest smartphone moment I ever had was firing up a 2007 iPhone. The combination of IOS ( 1.0 I think ), which for me was the greatest leap in user experience ever, and the design just made it a 'wow' moment. It was a night and day experience from any other smartphone I had ever seen or used.

8 years later I have just taken delivery of a iPhone 6s Plus and the 'wow' factor just isn't there. Not much has changed. It's almost identical except for screen resolution and speed -- 2 things which are natural technological progressions and not apple related.

I suppose the question I am asking people, is if they think iPhone has stagnated because of technology constraints, or because Steve jobs isn't there anymore?

^^^^Substitute 'iPhone' for 'iMac' and you have the exact same threads going on in the iPhone forum here. I'm not being sarcastic.

I am actually floored you think it wasn't a big deal that Apple figured out of to get a 5k screen in the new iMac with 218 pixel density. The monitor might be the most important thing when it comes to a computer experience and some people think it's not a huge deal.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
^^^^Substitute 'iPhone' for 'iMac' and you have the exact same threads going on in the iPhone forum here. I'm not being sarcastic.

I am actually floored you think it wasn't a big deal that Apple figured out of to get a 5k screen in the new iMac with 218 pixel density. The monitor might be the most important thing when it comes to a computer experience and some people think it's not a huge deal.
My thought exactly when reading the OP's post. Seeing a 27" Retina display in a desktop form factor was certainly a "wow" moment for me.

Meanwhile, iPhones are on 1080p/LCD. Nothing new or innovative there. Well, ok, at least there's 3D Touch.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
Ridiculous.

Most people own dozens, if not hundreds or thousands, of DVDs. Those aren't going to magically disappear. .

I think you are wrong. I've happily given away or thrown all my DVDs and cd programs in the trash years ago. And I dont know any friends using the DVD to watch movies or burning/using the DVD drive in the PC anymore (I dont think I ever used the DVD drive in my office PC). Even my parents hardly use discs anymore. So, personally Im happy Apple is moving on and dont waste space inside the iMac for something thats all ready a dead media. THose few of you left should accept using an external drive. And to be honest, I agree with Benjamin Frost, keeping the DVD drive would be the same as keeping FW 800 plug or an DVI port.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
Ridiculous.

I disagree. I used probably 3 or 4 DVDs since I got an iMac in 2013. If removing an optical drive means a better design and place for better stuff, I'm for it (even though the design was not great still). An external drive that sits in my drawer for when I need it, that's fine.

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
The last decent 'superdrive' that Apple sold were the Pioneer DVD writers in the classic Mac Pros. The ones in the macbook pros and iMacs were never as good.

I'm glad to see the back of optical drives in iMacs.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The only time I'll use a DVD is for my PS3, I have had zero need for optical disks or drives in my computers for years.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I need to get an external Blu-ray reader to assist in archiving disks to HDD for easy access and playback. Otherwise, I too wouldn't need an optical drive.

AlifTheUnseen

macrumors regular
May 17, 2014
Nothing is preventing you from plugging one in.
Well, are we going backwards to the right side again? I hope not...
imac_5_20071026.jpg

(source: blog on http://meandmymac.net/2008/07/scams-lies-and-complete-chaos/)

Actually, if you see the beauty to the left, isn't your first thought how to make it even thinner?

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
imac_5_20071026.jpg

Actually, if you see the beauty to the left, isn't your first thought how to make it even thinner?
I hope you understand that if you're sacrificing thinness for an external drive that sits in your drawer that you can easily plug in and use without much space taken, there's no problem, right? :rolleyes: (sorry for bad photoshop, I was lazy)
E3tzBQs.png

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I hope you understand that if you're sacrificing thinness for an external drive that sits in your drawer that you can easily plug in and use without much space taken, there's no problem, right? :rolleyes: (sorry for bad photoshop, I was lazy)
E3tzBQs.png

Yep - Don't forget to add a thunderbolt drive or 2 also (1 for more storage, 1 for time machine) and a USB hub and a wire going to better speakers....etc

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
imac_5_20071026.jpg

That thicker iMac photo also shows how much nicer that thickness is because the ports could be on the side/top/bottom instead of the back where it's impossible to see what you're doing.

The iMac is too thin for no good reason - It doesn't need to be knife thickness at the edges, it's not a portable device.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
Yep - Don't forget to add a thunderbolt drive or 2 also (1 for more storage, 1 for time machine) and a USB hub and a wire going to better speakers....etc
For storage, not sure why you'd need that, for time machine you would have one even on older models, a USB hub you would have one anyway if you needed to, speakers you would have anyway because the newer ones are still better than the old ones, etc. Pointless argument.

Cody1992

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2015
Personally, I believe that part of the problem is that PCs are no longer a new and exciting thing; correct me if I am mistaken but the overall growth of the market is actually.... negative. I believe only Apple is selling slightly more desktops than the industry average (growth in %, obviously). Otherwise, it's a mature industry now, and companies will try to maintain this for as long as possible. Focus on new things, like smartphones or the connected home and even cars, will be new innovations.

if anyone would like to mention something great that can be added to desktops other than faster processors, memory and/or storage. I think the industry would be more than willing to listen. I imagine whatever you want would probably be subjective, like I don't think having a DVD drive is a good example at all. Eventually, we will probably see much smaller, more powerful and connected computers in the future, but society will have to catch up. Maybe we'll all be walking around with smartwatches that can monitor our bodies, homes and online presence all by itself.

Reactions: AlifTheUnseen

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
For storage, not sure why you'd need that, for time machine you would have one even on older models, a USB hub you would have one anyway if you needed to, speakers you would have anyway because the newer ones are still better than the old ones, etc. Pointless argument.

For more storage?

Umm - TONS of people use way more than the 1TB that an SSD allows (don't even start about fusion or HDD garbage please - it's 2015)

USB hub & Speakers - The point is why make an "all in one" so thin that you right away need a bunch of crap connected to it to accomplish basic things that could be accomplished internally if the "thin obsession" was toned down?

There's no good argument to make a desktop as "thin as possible" other than pure vanity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.