Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bxs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Seattle, WA
Subject: iMac Pro's core use for the mundane applications

It should be noted that some of the bundled Apple Applications that come with this iMac can make fairly good use of multiple cores.

If you run iTunes, Photos for example you will see they can spawn of tasks to as many cores as the machine has. I have a 6-core MP6,1 in my man cave and 12-core MP6,1 in office. Running either of these two applications (iTunes and Photos) they both will at times consume as many cores as they can get their greedy hands on. I haven't explored other Apple bundled Applications but have to believe any that have multiple threads of executing can use extra cores if available.

Running Time Machine backups also is another candidate as it will chew up my 6 cores on the MP6,1 as well.

As an experiment, I simply ran a bunch of the bundled Applications and focused on one at a time and found the 6 cores in my MP6,1 were in full demand.

My point here is that even for normal daily use when using several of the Apple bundled applications the more cores you have, the better will be the experience with overall things happening quicker.

Just something to keep in mind as a side issue.... the brass (the money) laid out for the iMac pro has benefits beyond just for professional applications such as FPPX, Adobe software, specialized scientific applications and such like.

I like to say "speed is good". :D

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
Subject: iMac Pro's core use for the mundane applications

It should be noted that some of the bundled Apple Applications that come with this iMac can make fairly good use of multiple cores.

If you run iTunes, Photos for example you will see they can spawn of tasks to as many cores as the machine has. I have a 6-core MP6,1 in my man cave and 12-core MP6,1 in office. Running either of these two applications (iTunes and Photos) they both will at times consume as many cores as they can get their greedy hands on. I haven't explored other Apple bundled Applications but have to believe any that have multiple threads of executing can use extra cores if available.

Running Time Machine backups also is another candidate as it will chew up my 6 cores on the MP6,1 as well.

As an experiment, I simply ran a bunch of the bundled Applications and focused on one at a time and found the 6 cores in my MP6,1 were in full demand.

My point here is that even for normal daily use when using several of the Apple bundled applications the more cores you have, the better will be the experience with overall things happening quicker.

Just something to keep in mind as a side issue.... the brass (the money) laid out for the iMac pro has benefits beyond just for professional applications such as FPPX, Adobe software, specialized scientific applications and such like.

I like to say "speed is good". :D
you kinda mistake on it sir.

In old days, optimization is a must for software developer. But new trend is give us more memory we can re-use them all. So no matter you have 1 TERA RAM.A program like JAVA will used it up `em all. I'm not sure how u see graph thread and cpu usage.. like windows does.. but would like to knew also.

Reactions: Samuelsan2001

bxs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Seattle, WA
you kinda mistake on it sir.

In old days, optimization is a must for software developer. But new trend is give us more memory we can re-use them all. So no matter you have 1 TERA RAM.A program like JAVA will used it up `em all. I'm not sure how u see graph thread and cpu usage.. like windows does.. but would like to knew also.
Sure.... Simply use Activity Monitor and watch things as well as using Activity Monitor -> Window -> CPU Usage

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
I think Resource Monitor (on windows) is a tad more detailed than activity monitor in some respects.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.