iMac purchase & 9/9 event/refurb store/free ipod

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Apocrathia, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Apocrathia macrumors 6502

Okay so this is a multiple part posting, I hate posting a ton of crap in individual threads that pertain to the same subject.

The september 9th event is supposed to be just a media event, right? I have no real worries of buying my iMac and then it getting updated there, do I?

I am looking at a refurb right now, i've only heard good things about them. Does anyone have any horror stories?

And finally, I know that apple is doing their back to school crap. Do you think I would be better off waiting a week or so to get the extra money and buy a brand new iMac with an iPod touch (just to turn around and sell the itouch)?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

September 9th is iPod event, not Mac. There is no reason to update iMac atm because new hardware is coming within few months.

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I've had nothing but great expereinces with Apple's refurbs. UNlike some other tech companies, they do a great job correcting issues and returning them to cosmetically new condition.

It takes 2-3 months for new models to show up as refurbs, so when apple does roll over an iMac stuff, it will still take some time for them to show up at a discount. In other words, don't worry about missing out on the latest and greatest and enjoy your savings.

(and refurbs don't count for the free ipod deal - only new ones)

4. Apocrathia thread starter macrumors 6502

well i've ordered my refurb imac, waiting on it to get to me now. i really didn't care about the free ipod deal though since i already have an iphone. i just don't have the capital right now to buy a brand new imac up front. plus i'd rather get a refurb which seems to be more guaranteed against problems than a new unit.

5. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

I was going to suggest that you hold off until the end of September to make your iMac purchase, as there are rumors of hardware updates and a 7-10% price drop along the line.

That being said, you will in no way be unhappy with your purchase! Apple refurbs are comparable in quality to their brand new machines.

6. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

The iPod touch rebate only applies to the current models, not the future ones that are going to be released. It's going to be hard to get much money for the current iPod Touch if the new ones end up having cameras and double the storage as the current ones. If you want to get the Touch and sell it via Ebay/Craigslist I suggest buying it ASAP

7. Apocrathia thread starter macrumors 6502

I was planning on doing that, but all I can really see Apple doing are incremental updates and whatnot. I just bought the top of the line model off of the refurb store. I need it now for school, and I know no matter if I buy it now or 6 months from not, I'm going to love it to death.
    I've been using my 13" macbook for everything for the past 2 years, I needed to get a desktop system because the small scree is starting to take a toll on my eyes and neck (from looking down all the time).
    I am a computer forensics student, so I don't have the need for a mac pro just yet, but I'm sure that the iMac i got will last me for the rest of undergrad and on into grad school without a problem.

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Since the free iPod deal ends the eighth, you're cutting it close. Will someone really want to buy a last-gen iPod when they can buy a new one with a camera and double the storage for the same price?