iMac Purchase And Discover 10% Conundrum

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by DontGetTheCheese, Nov 24, 2015.

1. DontGetTheCheese, Nov 24, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2015

DontGetTheCheese macrumors member

So, here's the problem. I've been looking at an iMac, specifically the one that can be upgraded to a m395X GPU. I also have a Discover Card.

As I understand the process I must make an in-store purchase, so if i walk in the store, and Apple Pay for a m395 everything is good because it's an in-store transaction. A 395X, however, must be purchased via the website, as it's custom. I can use my phone, the Apple App and Apple Pay through that.

But, is that an in-store purchase for purposes of the promotion?

Note: I've just emailed Discover about this but I welcome any answers here.

2. Mr.C macrumors 601

I'm pretty sure judging by other threads on the subject here that an in store purchase means purchasing in a physical store and not online which is what the Apple Store app is.

3. DontGetTheCheese thread starter macrumors member

That's my belief too. I made a snarky comment about how even in an Apple store I couldn't use Apple Pay, which the red shirt didn't appreciate. He got pretty defensive but we're talking $500, with the double rewards 10%.

We'll see what Discover has to say.

4. DontGetTheCheese thread starter macrumors member

Discover confirmed that I don't get it through the app. I can still get 5% through the Apple program, which I guess doubles, so there is that. Good thing I didn't listen to the salesperson.

So, once again, thwarted in my attempt to use Apple Pay. :)