iMac purchase delayed till September advice

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MCIowaRulz, Aug 4, 2011.

1. MCIowaRulz macrumors 6502

So I'm going to try get an iMac in September (I currently have a fixed income) Is that too long for a "refresh" to occur? I see that it is "Neutral"
    http://guides.macrumors.com/iMac_Buyer's_Guide
    I can't afford to spend $1600 and have it be "out of date" for a while:)

2. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

The current iMacs will not be "out of date" for a long while. You didn't mention what you'll use it for, so I'm assuming casual computing. In that case your fine for 5 or 6 years at least.

3. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

It won't be outdated in September. If it is close to another update in September, you can opt to wait for a new model.

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

And so it has begun. Let the flood of "should I wait for the next iMac" posts begin. :confused:

5. zarathu, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011

zarathu macrumors regular

zarathu

If your actual machine is a Dell as listed in your stuff, the following is not an issue. But you may wish to get a copy of parallels virtual, so that you can run all your current pc software in whatever you are currently doing. This would make your transition to a mac very easier. I have some software that will NEVER be put into apple format, and I run it in unity with my mac. I click on the item and it simply opens even though its running in windows xp, I don't know that. It seems like its running on my mac.

If you ahve a mac now, our biggest problem here is that you may have a lot of legacy software that won't run on Lion. You need to address that issue before you buy a new machine, migrate your stuff, only to find that 3/4 of the software you use everyday no longer works.

P.s. : I understand the fixed income, I get my "entitlement check" on the 4th wednesday of every month.