iMac purchase now, or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macstatic, Oct 11, 2008.

  1. macstatic macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2005
    #1
    My wife wants to buy an iMac, but according to the Macrumors buyer's guide page there's only an average of 1 1/2 month until an update, so I've advised her to wait.

    What kind of update might be expected? The usual stuff (minor speed bump, slightly bigger hard drive etc.) or stuff really worth waiting for (Blue Ray burner etc.)?

    She'll be using it for regular stuff like email, web-browsing, word-processing etc. She basically just needs a reliable computer (unlike her old PC) for everyday stuff.

    Should she wait?
     
  2. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2008
    Location:
    Connecticut
    #2
    If your wife does not need a new computer now, wait to purchase an iMac until it is needed.
     
  3. macstatic thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2005
    #3
    Yes, I agree.
    For the time being she's using my computer, but would like her own pretty soon.
    But if a radically new iMac is expected in a couple of months she's willing to hold on and wait a little longer. If it's just minor things which won't make a difference to her anyway (a minor speed bump etc.) she might as well buy one right away.

    What do you guys expect with the next update, and when is it likely to happen?
     
  4. JML42691 macrumors 68020

    JML42691

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2007
    #4
    Well, with the notebook line being updated on Tuesday, I wouldn't expect anything else to be updated in a large way until MWSF '09 in early-January. But a minor spec bump may happen between now and then, but I think that it is unlikely.
     
  5. eXan macrumors 601

    eXan

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2005
    Location:
    Russia
    #5
    To OP: Just get it now. For casual use nothing will make a difference in new ones, especially since the release date could be anywhere from November to March.
     
  6. fteter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2008
    #6
    Ya know, it's a funny thing about buying technology: there is always a good reason to wait just a little longer to get the latest stuff. New releases, features, etc. The question is really about the trade-off between what you can buy now versus the productivity lost by waiting. Only you can decide what's best for you.

    As for me, I'm buying a new iMac next week...
     
  7. queshy macrumors 68040

    queshy

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2005
    #7
    Agreed. We have a first gen alu iMac and a Penryn iMac and it's impossible to tell the difference between the two machines (casual use). No point in waiting for a "speed bump" as the current machines are plenty fast.
     
  8. Soxy macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2008
    #8
    I've been "camping" for an iMac for about 4 months now (It was cash at the beginning now it's waiting for a new release.)

    I'm very eager and I've been doing a lot of research, obviously with Apple a lot of it is simple rumours and guesses, but here are the "facts":

    At least 2 rumour websites, also it being echoed on here, put new iMac's down for release at the end of October/beginning of November -- http://www.appleinsider.com/article...oks_imacs_up_next_on_apples_2008_roadmap.html

    Basically it works like this:

    The next "big update" to iMac will most likely be things like Quad-Core Nehalem, Blu-ray perhaps, etc etc, big stuff, but most of us know this won't happen until at least mid-2009.

    Now the dilemma that creates is that it's unlikely that Apple will not update the iMacs until then, their update cycle would be destroyed, but they also don't have much room to move, the only thing they can really do to the existing models is a CPU speed bump, better graphics cards and such, this wouldn't justify a big announcement at MacWorld at all, so chances are that it will be either a simple silent Tuesday update like they usually do for their speed bumps. Or perhaps, however unlikely, that the notebook event next week will bring them in.

    My advice it to wait until Tuesday just because it's so close, and you never know, but should that day come and go with nothing, go ahead and buy, your wife doesn't need it for anything intensive, and those speed bumps won't make a blind bit of difference to her.
     
  9. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2007
    Location:
    California
    #9
    I'm in the same situation. My wife is currently using an old XP box I built about 4 years ago. It still gets the job done but she is now in a graphic design program at the university. Originally, I talked to her about giving her my MacBook after I purchase a MacBook Pro, however, I think I am going to get her an iMac for her birthday at the end of this month.

    I bought the MacBook Pro last week in lieu of Tuesday but I couldn't pass it up. 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD, 8600GT 512 for $1,800. Cheaper than the cheapest Pro. Sometimes, if you can find the right deals, immediate future upgrades you can't wait for.
     
  10. ascender macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2005
    #10
    If you need it now, just buy it. If you always wait for the next thing to come out, you'll never buy it. Unless you were going to buy a Macbook, MBP or maybe a Cinema Display today, I'd go right on ahead and do it. The iMac updates will more than likely be in terms of speed bumps or minor feature upgrades, but any iMac you buy now will last for years and years.
     
  11. highjumppudding macrumors 6502

    highjumppudding

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2008
    #11
    agreed 100%. it's simple, if you need the computer now, get it now. if you don't, then wait. there will always be something better in the future. if you continue to wait, you'll always be waiting.
     

Share This Page