iMac purchase with 2 credit cards?(Discover)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by esphil, Oct 20, 2014.

1. esphil macrumors member

I've been going back and forth about getting the new 5k since it was annouced. I'm able to get a employee discount to lower the cost. I also have a Discover Credit card I never use. I see that I can get 10% cashback total if I use it. The problem being the credit line is the lowest out of any card I have, ($2300), which is obviously not enough. For anyone who has used discover, can I pay like $2100 with the discover card and put the remaining on a 2nd card, and still qualify for the discover cashback? I plan on paying the balance off right away but I'd like the extra 10% off. It may be a obscure question, but hopefully someone may know.:)

2. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

I doubt you can do that online, but it may be possible if you order by phone or in a physical store.

Or you can buy a gift card with your regular CC and use it along with the Discover one.

3. leenak macrumors 68020

Call Discover and ask them to raise your limit.

4. esphil thread starter macrumors member

Yeah already tried that, unfortunately they want to do a hard pull which won't fly with me. Just checked again on the checkout page, and they still allow the 2 credit card method. I may just give it a try. The price tag is easier to swallow when I can save 100's between discount and cashback. :cool:

5. Alimar macrumors 6502a

Alimar

I did something similar (two dif. CCs at the online Apple Store) and received the perks from the amount that was charged to that particular card.

6. kendrickhphoto macrumors member

Have you tried a CLI through the website? It will let you know if it needs to do a hard pull. Most of the time you will get a soft pull even if you're unsuccessful after you called in. Once you're logged in hover over account and then go to Credit Line Increase and see if that works.

It will work though using two cards but obviously you won't get the full amount back.

The other option is to just put it all on the Discover card. I'm only recommending this if you're going to pay it off before you get charged interest. They will in a lot of circumstances let you go over the limit, I've gone over $1000 before when my limit was lower and payed it off before the statement cut and that worked fine for me.

Either way once you're logged in to the main page click on the Shop Now link under Discover Deals and then click on the one for Apple. It will take you another page and just click shop now. After that go through and make your purchase and you can choose two card at checkout and then whatever is charged to your Discover card will get the Cash Back applied to it. I've done it a couple of times while it has been active and have gotten my 5% back.

I actually just got it when my statement cut yesterday.

[​IMG]

7. esphil thread starter macrumors member

EXCELLENT, thanks so much for the reply. When I called they said they couldn't do a soft pull since I barely used the card. I have cards with 10x the limit of this one, but go figure. I had no idea I could just go over the limit. I planned on paying it off right away so it shouldn't be a issue. From my understanding apple store provides 5% cashback, and then another 5% cashback on purchases with the card?

8. kendrickhphoto macrumors member

Yes that is what they are offering right now is the 5% for Apple and normal 5% for Online Shopping in Q4. The fine print does say that it is not valid with any other offers but since that is just a feature of the card it is not really an offer and worked great for me.