iMac Purchase

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sketchygargoyle, Jul 30, 2012.

  1. sketchygargoyle macrumors newbie

    Jul 30, 2012
    So I've been waiting since April to buy an iMac. I kept hearing rumors how the refresh was about to happen. Well now its almost August and still no Imac. Tax free weekend (in NC) is coming up and I was really hoping to buy it then. I wish Apple would just announce whats going on. If the refresh isn't anything special, I would buy the current version on tax free day. Oh, I'm also a student and will get the $100 gift card. That promotion runs until September 21st I believe.
    If the refresh at least includes Ivy Bridge and some aesthetic changes, I'll be happy and hold out. But I really don't want to hold out past September 21st either. So if anyone has any information or the up-to-date rumors on when it will most likely be released, that'd be great.

    I'm noticing an apple event september 12th, which could be a possible new imac date. Would that mean that the next day, the new models will be available at the stores?
  2. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

    Mar 7, 2010
    Usually for computers announced they are available the next day. If I were you I would wait to see what Sept 12 brings, if nothing then purchase away.
  3. DukeD macrumors newbie

    Jul 31, 2012
    Beware if you buy an iMac

    The Mac Mini's a better bet. The reason is that with the iMac, if your screen has problems you may have a huge expense on your hands. You can't just replace the monitor. My wife's iMac started having single pixel wide vertical lines appear, slowly, one by one, over time. The folks at the Apple store told me I was looking at $800 for the repair. The whole machine's barely worth that much. Get the Mini instead and a separate monitor.
  4. kylera macrumors 65816


    Dec 5, 2010
    Is there a particular reason you're aiming for the iMac? Depending on your uses, you could consider a MBP instead.
  5. sketchygargoyle thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jul 30, 2012
    i want the imac because i like the entire computer being together in a sleek package. i have a macbook now but im tired of the small screen size. a macbook pro 15 inch isnt out of the question, but its a lot more money compared to an imac which has a much bigger screen size. and im not sure if the mac mini will come with an ivy bridge processor. i would feel more comfortable with an imac than a mac mini and then have to buy a separate display
  6. MacMilligan macrumors 6502

    Aug 2, 2012
    Does your MacBook Pro have a Thunderbird port. If it does I would simply buy a DVI out adapter and purchase an external monitor for your MacBook Pro. I plug a MacBook Pro into an external monitor and use a keyboard and mouse. It's definitely an option to use in the interim and if you ended up liking it then you would save a lot of money in the long run. There are numerous docking stations that you could purchase that would make the transition from laptop to desktop much easier as well. Also if you go this route then you do not have to worry about synchronizing your documents between both of the computers.

Share This Page