Imac purchasing question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacBH928, May 17, 2008.

1. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

Hello Everyone,
    This is my first post and i am looking for purchasing advice

I currently am running iMac flatpanel 17 g4 at 800 mhz, 76m ram....
    its an old machine by today's standards but it still serves me(sad that computers get old in six years time since they are an expensive piece of equipment)

I used to be great with computers and would always buy top of the line products, but recently i got a bit older and I do not use computers much like I had. Today basically I just browse the internet, download, word processors...nothing amazing.

I am though looking to run photoshop, flash, imovie, and even final cut pro or express doesnt matter. Nothing professional here, if it was I know what Ill buy, but this is in a hobby kind of way. Light stuff, simple projects...

I am also looking to run some games using bootcamp on windows. Am not game freak looking for best of graphics but for a brand new mac I expect it to run bioshock and civilization, heck it should run even crysis.

I am confused with the screen real estate. As far as I can remember back then 17 inc was the coolest thing in the world, and to have 20 inch screen is totally pro stuff...this was back then though.

I have two options here that I would pick from.
    the First is the $1500 model which is 20 inch, 2.6GHZ Imach

or Top of the line $2200 3.0Ghz, 24inch imac.

Now on the 17 inch, i am facing problems with real estate of the screen and really wish I had a bigger screen. Is 20 big enough? As far as I hear that 24 is a bit WAY too big...

The other question is , is there really a huge difference between the ATI 2600 card and the Nvidia GeFore 8800?

what about the difference in CPU of 2.6 and 3.0 GHZ? I hear that a .4 GHZ isnt really much difference?! i also hear that most people that buy top of the line are paying a bit extra...

i really do not want to buy anything that I do not need, because I read at macworld.com this article that says that Imacs are really fast now with the Core2dou and they can run Top apps like photoshop with no worries. Back in the day this machine didnt have much worries with the photoshop too.

please advice me, this is a consumer machine not professional business. I wouldnt mind paying for top of the line if it really deserves it(specially the 24 inch screen) but if I will be paying for something I dont need then I will probably be wasting my money...

I have not been up to date with computer technology lately and I sound like a 50 year old man looking at computers and wondering what is a Ghz!? Real sad, I used to be asked by family and friends for pc advice....

2. CompUsed macrumors newbie

I know how you feel. I have a older tower Mac G4 Dual 1.0Ghz. Now technology has moved on. There are things that won't run on my old technology. I spent $2500 on my Mac and another $2500 on a 23" Cinema Display and my Display has been broken for the last 6 months and I don't want to spend the money to fix it cause new displays are so cheap in comparison. Sad. Now that I am ready to buy again I just don't know how far to stretch the budget. I want the latest but do not need to go to far. I just don't want to buy and find out I can't run something.

Your case sounds to me like a late model refurb would suffice. One of the latest aluminum models at a savings. I would buy refurb in a heartbeat but I am still investigating all the possibilities. I know everyones needs vary but do some asking as you are then "jump".

3. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

The 24" panel is not only bigger than the 20", but also has a higher color depth, so you will probably enjoy the 24" one more. Get a refurb 24" for $1399 and buy 4GB of RAM from OWC (macsales.com) for about $100 more, and you get great performance for your money. Or, if you prefer a matte display, pick up one of the 2.16GHz 24" white iMacs for only $1199.

4. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

you think a refurbished system is the right choice?

5. jonswan macrumors regular

Why not? They've been tested by Apple engineers so should work perfectly. I think they come in brown boxes instead of the usual Apple boxes for some reason and they also may have minor scuffs. There's nothing like opening up a new Mac though, so for me it has to be new...

6. CompUsed macrumors newbie

I highly recommend refurbished. I have bought them and I read all the time of others who have and rarely do you hear anything bad. They are "good as new" and the savings are substantial.

7. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

Absolutely. You could even get a Mac Pro for less than you would be paying for the top of the line iMac.

8. MacintheBox2 macrumors newbie

Buy Refurbished/Used

macinthebox.com has used 20" G5 iMacs for $700.