Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GetGo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2004
New Jersey
I am thinking about buying a 20" iMac. I did a search on this forum and started reading about problems like.

1. Heat problems
2. Fans that had to be replaced
3. Connecting an external HD with firewire and there was not enough power through the firewire cable to have the drive mount on the desktop.
4. Is there a chance Apple will come out with something new or upgrade the imac within the next couple of months?
5. Should I wait until Apple starts using Intel chips?

I went to the Apple store and asked about these problems, they said the heat problems were with early models and they use a different fan now. The firewire problem he said he hadn't heard of.

Any help would be apprciated.

Thanks

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
nothing wrong with the current crop of imacs... if you need one now, get it. intel chips aren't an issue yet, unless you want to wait at least another year.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Standard advice applies.
If you need a computer buy it, if not wait.

Regarding the firewire, I though most external drives require power separate from the firewire. Only some small portable drives do not require it.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
skubish said:
Standard advice applies.
If you need a computer buy it, if not wait.

Regarding the firewire, I though most external drives require power separate from the firewire. Only some small portable drives do not require it.
I agree with the advice. And the answer about power for firewire devices is correct. (Just in case the original poster needed to hear it from multiple people.)

GetGo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2004
New Jersey
The question on firewire, yes this is a mini external HD that does not have power. This drive works fine right now with my iBook, but what about the iMac. I heard about problems.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
If there were any doubt about the machine in its current state? Fear not.

I love love love love love love LOVE my 20" 2.0GHz iMac G5! Yes there were many issues w/ the first revisions, but it seems for the most part, that those issues are no longer... well, issues w/ the current one, Revision B.

As for whether or not updates will come soon, nobody knows for sure. But these were just released in May and I have a feeling all this Intel switching will only prolong/delay what used to be more 'predictable' update cycles.

That said, I'll echo the previous posters, if ya need the machine now, go for it. But if you don't mind waiting X days, X weeks, X months... then why not? As for me personally, I couldn't use Windows as a primary OS everyday.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
devilot76 said:
I love love love love love love LOVE my 20" 2.0GHz iMac G5! Yes there were many issues w/ the first revisions, but it seems for the most part, that those issues are no longer... well, issues w/ the current one, Revision B.

I felt the same way about the 20'" inch iMac I had at work (before I quit that horrid job). I think you'd be very happy with it.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
GetGo said:
The question on firewire, yes this is a mini external HD that does not have power. This drive works fine right now with my iBook, but what about the iMac. I heard about problems.

I have never heard of this being a problem.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
I agree, owning the latest generation iMac, that it is a flawless machine. It is running 24/7 with the likes of Folding, torrents, importing of photos into iPhoto - all with out problems so far.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I can't find a flaw with my iMac. The only things I would like to see is maybe an extra headphone jack on the front so that I can plug in my headphones when my girlfriend is trying to sleep. It is sorta a pain to reach around and remove my speaker cable then plug the headphone cable in.

But the specs on the machines right now are great. They really are the best deal apple has. I doubt they are going to be updated anytime soon, they are almost as good as the powermac's now, except for the dual processors.

LGRW3919

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2005
cupertino (no joke)
i've had my imac for about a month and a half and everything is great. i love it and it's FAST. the only thing that is somewhat bugging me is that whenever the fans go full blast, it requires a restart to get them to normal speeds (they go full blast when i play America's Army for more than ~45 minutes).

if you get it you'll love it

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
devilot76 said:
I couldn't agree anymore. I haven't had any problems at all with my iMac and I would recommend it to anyone looking to buy a mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.