iMac Questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by blasto333, May 18, 2008.

1. blasto333 macrumors regular

I will be using my computer for surfing the net, email, programming, using parallels (XP and/or VISTA) (mainly for browser testing), photo viewing and editing in iPhoto, music, and the occasional game.

I like having a large screen so I would want to get the 24".

Do you think Parallels will benefit much with an extra 2gb of ram? I am noticing that my computer does slow down a bit when using parallels on my mac book pro with 2gb of ram.

Also is the faster processor worth it?

What about applecare?

I think 320gb should be plenty of space for me.

I am selling my mac book pro because I have realized I don't really use my computer as a laptop and an iPhone will be a perfect "laptop"

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yes. You need enough RAM for both OSes. 2Gb is only just about OK (I know: I've only got 2Gb). 4Gb would be much more comfortable.

3. blasto333 thread starter macrumors regular

Thats what I am thinking. I think the only upgrade I will need is the ram, which is only $180.00.

Do you think that sounds correct?

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I wouldn't buy Apple RAM. You can get a 4Gb kit from Crucial for $103.99 and the sell the RAM that comes with the machine in eBay...

5. blasto333 thread starter macrumors regular

Is the RAM hard to put in? Also I will probably get applecare and would rather just have the machine covered in entirety.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No idea, I don't have an iMac :p

But Apple do consider it a user replaceable part, so it can't be all that hard...

7. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

No, shoudn't be hard, though I've never done it (no iMac here too) but look out for some guides on the web. Even Apple could have own guides around (they have one for replacing HD in the Macbook which is farely easy.) I will upgrade myself to 4 GB, because it's pretty cheap and really helps.

Faster processor..I would go for the 2.8 Ghz, you wouldn't have big performance differences with the 3.0 Ghz.

8. mr.light macrumors 6502

It is very simple. One screw, pull tabs, remove and replace. Done. The memory is at the bottom of the iMac between the speakers.

9. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

no

There a screw on the bottom of the iMac, you unscrew that, pull on the 2 tabs and seat the RAM! In 5 minutes your done!

Get your RAM from OWC and ship the "old RAM' from your imac back to them for a refund!

10. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

Users guide that comes with the imac also....

...illustrates what to do!

11. Royal05Steve macrumors newbie

12. tednunesrunning macrumors newbie

Be careful, when installing ram you have to push with "some force". It isn't just ...".....slide in and *click*" It's more like...slide in...and then "why doesn't this thing work????...then push hard..and ohh...there it goes...."I guess it's in.... Just make sure the notch is lined up and you shouldn't have any problems.

13. blasto333 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok I actually ended up buying what I said I was going to buy!

I ended up getting the 24" iMac @ 2.8Ghz with all the standard except upgraded RAM. (I got the wireless keyboard and mouse; which is really nice)

I don't think the faster processor, larger hard drive, and better video card is worth the extra $300.00+. (I only am using 50Gb of space, I don't use high intensive apps, and I rarely play games. Although I might start playing some)

Do you think I made the right decision?

14. oli2140 macrumors 6502

What would you do if everyone said no???

15. oli2140 macrumors 6502

(I think it was a good decision by the way, I am loving my iMac)

16. blasto333 thread starter macrumors regular

Probably nothing :). The iMac is so nice. It makes those plastic ones look low tech.

17. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Until you turn it round and notice it's got horrible black plastic on the back. It's also really ugly to look at from the front with that giant black rim all the way around the screen.

18. oli2140 macrumors 6502

Are you unhappy you got your iMac?

19. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

No, it's still a much better machine than the 1.83GHz 17" one I had before, but in terms of looks it's a real step backwards in my opinion.

20. blasto333 thread starter macrumors regular

I love the new look, but thats a matter of opinion.

21. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

I'm with you, however I prefered the white color. I love the new thiness of of the alu imacs, but I miss Apple's distinctive white color! Shame they couldnt somehow combine the two (White, or aluminum.. razor thin.. hell of a lot less black)