iMac questions

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ryannel2003, Aug 14, 2010.

1. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

I'm going off to college very soon and I was going to inquire about buying a computer for my house when I come home. I have a perfectly fine running MacBook but it's getting abused from all the traveling I do with it and I would like to come home and just have a computer to use around the house. I've been checking out eBay and found some great deals on iMac G3's and G4's. Question is... what model should I really be looking at? I owned a Bondi Blue iMac G3 about 5 years ago and it was a great computer but even then it was outdated and slow. I've been looking at 500-700MHz Slot Loading G3's and they seem like a good deal, but then I would have to install Tiger (which means getting a DVD drive), upgrade the RAM, and get an Airport card. The G4's have dropped in prices and I think that's the better deal, but for some reason I keep coming back to the G3. What should I do here? eMac seems the most logical choice but I already owned one, don't really want another. I've been wanting an iMac G4 since they came out but something about those little SL G3's just make me smile. I've got a budget of about $100-$150 and I've seen both models of computer going for that. Thanks!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I'd go for the 1.25Ghz 17" G4 iMac. They are still able to do Internet things well and can run Leopard fairly fast. A 15" might be a bit small and a G3 iMac is far too slow for anything major.

3. ryannel2003 thread starter macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

Thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking of going with the 15" only because I've seen them on eBay for around $100. If I could find a nice 17" G4 I would spring for it. I'm not planning on doing anything heavy with the computer. Web browsing, iTunes, word processing. Everything else I can do on my MacBook.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I'd also suggest you get one with USB 2. These are the 15" 1Ghz, 17" 1.25Ghz, and the 20" models. The other models all have USB 1.1.

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Good luck! The G4s are still very useable machines :D

6. ryannel2003 thread starter macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

This is an old thread but I'm gonna update everybody who helped me. I sold my MacBook back in December for a PC loaded with Windows 7 (which is leaps and bounds better than anything Microsoft has put out) but I still wanted something Apple just to do basic stuff. I ruled out iMac G3's a few months after I made this thread because it wasn't logical to buy anything G3 unless I just wanted a piece of art. I came across a 800MHz 17" iMac G4 on eBay yesterday for a price of $130, and I offered the guy $100. Surprisingly, he took my offer! I'm going to be the proud owner of a G4 iMac very soon. The only problem it had was a mark on the LCD but it doesn't affect the usability of the system. It comes loaded with only 256MB RAM and Tiger, but I plan on upgrading the RAM soon and if I ever feel the need to I will load up Leopard on it. This machine is basically a web browsing, iTunes, word processing, email, piece of art for my room type machine and it will excel at all of those things. I also ordered a set of the iMac speakers for it (I spent $140 in all). I feel I got a great deal on a computer I've always wanted.

7. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

That's awesome man! I always wanted one of the sunflower iMacs. They just tie the room together, know what I mean? :D

8. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

256MB of RAM is pretty brutal, but once you get it up to its 1GB maximum, it'll be a great little machine. I've got the 17" 1GHz model with 2GB of RAM and I love using it. The screens are so sharp and bright. Enjoy your new iMac.

9. ryannel2003 thread starter macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

Well I just got this afternoon and I've never been so intrigued by a computer in my entire life, and that's saying alot after owning nearly 10 Mac's. The screen is so bright and colorful that's really amazing this computer was built in 2002. Tiger with 256MB is brutal, but I was already expecting that. I'm going at least get a 512 stick and upgrade the open slot. Even though it's slow, I'm still enjoying it. I also ordered a set of the Pro speakers because the computer just wouldn't look right without them. They sound great and have alot more output than you would expect from such small speakers. I personally think this computer is the pinnacle of Apple design and the iMac's that have followed just aren't as elegant as this model. It should be a great web browsing, iTunes, Word documents, etc. machine. I am going to eventually get an older version of iLife so I can load some photos into iPhoto and then it will be complete.

Attached Files:

10. trickyred macrumors member

I agree, I think they are stunning. I was lucky enough to have a chunk of cash (pre kids!!) when the iMac 17" 1.25ghz came out, and snapped one up. I still use it daily and it is the centre of out digital hub at home. I have just purchased a poorly iMac 15" 800mhz, as a project, but it is in amazing condition, I don't think it has had much use at all. Worth spending the time and extra cash on to bring back from the dead. Enjoy!!

11. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

as you stated you got a macbook for the heavy things , i would go for a iMac G3 , try to get a 700mhz model or at least the 600mhz , because of the 16mb vram graphics , then install a dvd drive , easier to get then it sounds and cheap too ,get at least 512mb ram , more is always better on Mac's , install tiger on it and install TenFourFox browser , its great my iMac g3 700mhz even plays 240p youtube videos in the window of course ,but perfectly watchable , office 2004 works well and its the cutest Mac ever produced , you just got to love these little buggers

12. stroked Suspended

stroked

+ one on the TenFourFox. I just installed it on my iBook, and tested it on youtube. It played all the way through, without one stutter.