iMac RAM config via Apple

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iKnowMr.Jobs, Jan 24, 2015.

1. iKnowMr.Jobs macrumors regular

iKnowMr.Jobs

I've been considering getting an iMac lately. I don't do much that's very CPU intensive, some video and phot work but nothing professional grade, at least now and I've been trying to decide on which config would be best for me. The $1099 option is an absolute no go for me. So I've been looking at the middle of the road config ($1299) with a fusion drive. I didn't check to see what a RAM cost from Apple would be because Apple is notorious for charging quite a premium for more RAM as opposed to buying it afterwards and installing it manually. Because I've been shopping in the education store where everything is a bit cheaper, including upgrades, going from 8 to 16gb of ram is only $180 compared to buying 16 ram on Amazon for about $140. It's $40 more yeah, but I don't have to go through the tedious process of installing it. Think it's worth it?

2. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

Considering the small iMac requires you to remove the screen to get to the ram and therefore risking damage and dust on the screen, the $40 difference isn't that much. Do you have all the tools needed?

Unless you are confident you can do this, you are better off paying Apple for the ram. I don't know how they handle warranty claims for people who open up the machine this way. You may have issues, I don't know.

3. iKnowMr.Jobs thread starter macrumors regular

iKnowMr.Jobs

My point exactly. Saving $40 isn't worth trying to upgrade it myself and risk breaking the nearly $2000 computer. Even if I don't upgrade the RAM for a year or two, and buy $16 gb of RAM for say $80, I still don't think its worth it.

I am a guy that is comfortable with fixing an iPhone screen myself but on an iMac, I'd really rather pass off the responsibility to a professional.

4. Username Here macrumors member