iMac Ram Crucial Website vs Newegg

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by txhockey9404, Aug 11, 2008.

1. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

I know the crucial ram from here will work with my computer (iMac Aluminum 20 inch 2.0 ghz) Crucial

But, I am wondering whether this one works, because it appears to be the same.Newegg

I was also wondering if there is a warranty difference between the two, and if they are of lesser quality than the stock stick.

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

No difference. Newegg are just offering a discount.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

And you won't get free shipping from NewEgg on warranty.

4. txhockey9404 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So would it be better to get it from Crucial because of the warranty, because if this goes bad on me, thats $45 down the drain.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Not $45 down the drain, but whatever the warranty shipping cost difference is between the sellers. If you buy Crucial from NewEgg, you have to deal with NewEgg on returns.

I'm assuming you're in the USA

In contrast to NewEgg, a Mac-oriented vendor like Data Memory Systems offers free shipping both ways for the first 30 days if there is any problem. I THINK Crucial themselves have a similar policy, but I can't find the language on their website terms and conditions.

6. txhockey9404 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I checked out the Data Memory Systems link, and found 2 comparable sticks, but one was more expensive than Crucial, even from Crucial, and the other only included a 1 year warranty, and I plan on keeping this computer for another 2 years.

Thanks for all your help by the way! I just wondering, but if I had to return the RAM from Newegg, I would just pay the shipping for the first 30 days, and after that, I get support from Crucial? Because if that is the case, I would most likely go with Newegg.com for the Crucial ram because it is cheaper, but I still want Crucial's lifetime warranty.