Imac Ram late 2013 Haswell

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jcr918, Dec 30, 2013.

1. jcr918 macrumors regular

Question about the ram. It seems like a lot of people are having issues with 32GB of ram installed with third party ram on the late 2013 Haswell i7 model.

Can anyone clarify on this. Also if your using third party ram without any crashes where did you buy it at and how much of savings did you save. I got the student discount and it doesn't appear there's much of savings from buying the apple ram specially if there's issues happening with third party ram. All the kits I am seeing are almost $400.

2. AndrewMRiv macrumors regular

AndrewMRiv

I have not yet purchased my 32gb of RAM for my iMac Late 2013, but I plan on getting it from either OWC (macsales.com) or from Crucial.

Others have reported successful ram upgrades from them for a long time.

Did you have an issue or are you just concerned for the future?

3. jcr918 thread starter macrumors regular

No just about the future. I seen a ton of post where people have gotten ram from OWC and put it in the new Haswell 2013 Imacs and keep getting kernel crashes. I saw one guy returned his and re ordered the 32Gig ram configuration

I am trying to decide if I should just get the over price Apple 32Gig ram and not hassle with it or try and save a few bucks and go for it and take the chance of having crashes .

4. BESLC macrumors regular

I just ordered 27" iMac i7 with 16gb Apple ram. I am planning on adding additional 16gb from a third party supplier. I have checked Crucial. OWC and Amazon.

In speaking with OWC yesterday, they indicated they are currently using Samsung Ram. They guarantee the ram for compatibility. Their ram is the most expensive of the 3 sources.

Crucial direct ram is a bit lower in price than OWC. It is also guaranteed compatible with the late 2013 27" iMac. Reported to be a slightly tight fit,but no other issues noted.

Crucial ram from Amazon is the least expensive of the 3. It has a different part number than Crucial direct, but reported to be exactly the same ram. A specific search in reviews for compatibility with the late 2013 27" iMac indicate the same tightness as reported with Crucial direct, performance reported as good. http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-PC3-1...T2K8G3S160BM/dp/B008LTBJFW/ref=cm_rdp_product

After doing a lengthy search for third party ram, I feel anyone of the above would be a safe choice. OWC buys and repackages their ram, Crucial is the retail end of Mcron.

5. jcr918 thread starter macrumors regular

So this ram in 32 gig configuration will work without Kernal crashes ? I

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-PC3-1...T2K8G3S160BM/dp/B008LTBJFW/ref=cm_rdp_product

I thought mixing ram was not recommended and it was advised to have all the same?

6. IA64 macrumors 6502

7. jcr918 thread starter macrumors regular

8. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

I put a 32gb Crucial kit in my iMac, and have had zero issues.

9. jcr918 thread starter macrumors regular

Good to hear. My system seems to be running fine. I was worried with all the stuff I saw. The ram went in easy I had a harder time with the door then the ram.

10. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

See this thread.

Some of the issues people have reported relating to system lockups and kernel panics (myself included) after installing 32GB of RAM are due to the use of DDR3 1.5 V modules rather than DDR3L 1.35 V.

11. jcr918 thread starter macrumors regular

My system has been on all day and I have transferred large files not a single crash yet "KNOCK ON WOOD"

Everything seems good so far. I am not to worried about it. If I do have crashes Ill let everyone know. Seems like this ram is good

12. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

The Crucial RAM you got at Amazon is widely reported to be totally compatible with the Late 2013 iMac and is DDR3L 1.35 V. I'm sure you'll have no problems.

I would have gone with that RAM myself if I lived in the states.

As mentioned, I think the most important factor is to not mix voltages. Some say that 4 x 8GB of all 1.5 V modules is also a no go.

13. jcr918 thread starter macrumors regular

I spoke to soon I just got a kernal crash when transferring a raw file to cs6

14. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Wow, that's not good. :( Just for clarification, did you say you were using this RAM along with the original 2x8GB Apple modules?

If so, perhaps the kernel panic is not RAM-related?

I've already done an hour of web conferencing with my new DDR3L and so far so good but it's way to early to call it a victory.

15. jcr918 thread starter macrumors regular

Yep my system was stable until I added this ram. Not sure what to do now

16. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

It's a longshot, but I did read on Apple's discussion forums about some folks with Crucial modules having problems that turned out to be related to them not having been seated properly. There was apparently also a defective batch going around that couldn't be seated properly because of the PC board having been cut improperly. Some shaved it to fit themselves rather than send it back.

Just for ****s and giggles you might want to try reseating the two Crucial sticks firmly.

17. jcr918 thread starter macrumors regular

Just tried that and it crashed still

18. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Dang, you might have just gotten a bad module. It happens, unfortunately. :(

Have you tried removing the Apple RAM and starting up with only the Crucial to see if it still panics? If it doesn't then you might try adding the Apple RAM back in Banks 3 and 4 and see if that makes any difference.

19. jcr918 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok I need some major help I just removed all the ram other then apple stock ram and it's still crashing ? Now what this didn't happen until I messed with the ram

20. jcr918 thread starter macrumors regular

Just cleared cs6 settings and all is working with stock ram. Maybe I should give the Cr ram another try ?

21. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Yeah, do try that for sure. I'd be much more inclined to believe this is a Photoshop CS6 issue rather than bad RAM.

22. jcr918 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok I am confused LOL. I guess it was just a cs6 issue. I put the ram back in loaded cs6 back up and no crash. My guess is cs6 had my old system settings and when I added the new ram it made it go wacko.

I can't re-create the problem so it seems to have been resolved. Ill keep you posted

23. SaSaSushi, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014

SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Glad to hear you seem to have gotten it sorted. :)

In the meantime I'm keeping my fingers crossed here. I've got a two week window to return my RAM but I will consider it good if it makes it through one week of solid use without a panic or freeze.