iMac RAM Question.. Can't Choose between 2 brands

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jdl8422, May 3, 2007.

1. jdl8422 macrumors 6502

jdl8422

I currently have 1GB (512x2) and I want to upgrade. I was going to get a 2GB kit from crucial for 101$, but then i realized that it would void my applecare. ( i know i can just keep my orginal sticks and put them in if something happens, but i dont want to take the rist). Anyway i decided to just get a 2GB stick for now and just leave one 512MB in unitl apple care runs out then just buy a 1GB stick. www.datamem.com has a 2GB stick for 165$, crucial has a 2GB stick for 308$. I hear good things about both companies, but the price is so different. What should I do?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No hesitation whatsoever in recommending Datamem.com. I have dealt with them for over 5 years. Great service, they know Macs, great support. You will get a quality piece of memory that is guaranteed to work in your Mac.

3. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

Wow, that's incredible.
    Such a pity they won't accept credit card overseas. :(

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Upgrading your RAM will NOT void your AppleCare.

5. jdl8422 thread starter macrumors 6502

jdl8422

I may be wrong but I thought if I buy the RAM from a 3rd party and install it myself it will void the warranty. Now if I pay apple to do it I dont think it will void it.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm sure that providing the instructions also means you shouldn't do it. Now if you DAMAGE your iMac when you install it's another story.

I can't remember off hand the act/law that prevents you from being forced into buying components only from Apple.

7. intendedaccel macrumors member

I always stick with crucial memory. Can't go wrong with it.

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

It's the Magnuson-Moss act (in the USA). It was originally enacted regarding car parts -- that is a third party muffler can't void the warranty on the whole car. But the consequences, for example, an improper installation job or, say, substandard oil that causes your motor to seize can be grounds for voiding the warranty. And a manufacturer is within their rights to define certain parts as non-user repairable, and therefore voiding the warranty.