iMac RAM question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Gundams, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Gundams, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014

Gundams macrumors newbie

I am going to purchase some crucial RAM to upgrade my imac 21.5 inch to 16 GB. However i am unsure which crucial ram to purchase.
    http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/memory/ct2k8g3s160bm
    I believe its this one because its the only one compatible with mac, however i want to make sure.

p.s.
    I am not attempting to install the ram myself, i am going to pay a trained professional to install ram. However i just dont want to pay more for the RAM, when i know i can save some money buying it myself.

thank you very much in advance

2. ryguy92000 macrumors regular

ryguy92000

Ram. Ram? Ram!

The appropriate ram for your iMac will likely be 1333 speed. Brands are subject to wide opinion. What year is your iMac? If its not the "thin" style it is quite easy to change out the ram! And even with the thin style there is a panel on the back of the newer iMacs for Ram access

Try looking at iFixit.com before buying any labor from a shop.

Good Luck! :D

3. jji7skyline macrumors 6502

jji7skyline

The RAM is user-upgradeable on most iMacs and it should give you details in your manual.

In terms of what type you need, it would help to know the year and model of the iMac.

You can usually get RAM several times cheaper than from Apple or Crucial if you know where to look.

4. Gundams thread starter macrumors newbie

ty guys

yes it is the tapered finish, late 2013 version, which technically shouldn't be upgraded but can be. I wasn't sure which ram to purchase because few people have attempted this. This is the RAM that fits the model i believe. Ty for your help

5. Kyle-K macrumors regular

Kyle-K

Gundams, just in case you're not aware given the information you have provided this iMac will require disassembling to install the RAM.

6. Gundams thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes i understand that it requires disassembling

I know that it requires disassembling, which is why im having a trained professional do the installation for me. I just want to save money as i was going to be charged 204 dollars just for both RAM sticks. However, im not 100% sure that the ram i cited earlier will work in my Imac.

7. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

Only on the 27" iMacs. The OP says he has a 21.5".

8. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

While you're added, trow in a SSD if you haven't have one already. This will give you the most speed increase.

9. Kyle-K macrumors regular

Kyle-K

Excellent just wanted to confirm in case you weren't aware.

10. Gundams thread starter macrumors newbie

ty for your advice

Thats exactly what i was thinking, i gonna save up some more cash and do multiple things at once to my imac. Any other recommendations for upgrades?

----------

Does any one know if the RAM i stated earlier is the correct RAM to purchase? Ive had a lot of questions asked, but no direct answer.

Ty in advance

11. jji7skyline macrumors 6502

jji7skyline

I agree. A 250GB costs just over $100.

12. mmomega, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2014

mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

The 2012-2013 iMacs use PC3-12800 or DDR3-1600 RAM, same RAM different name.
    21.5" goes to 16GB
    27" goes to 32GB

I've also tested low voltage 1.35v 1866 RAM in my 2013 iMac and it works great and OSX doesn't downclock it to 1600.

13. Gundams thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, good recommendation, can you give specifics, about the brand of RAM you used? Ill definitely consider that as an option.

14. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I use 32GB of this

15. Gundams thread starter macrumors newbie

Ill look into this RAM further

Ah, so itll still work on a mac, even though its not mac specific. ty

16. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

Apple doesn't make any RAM.

A lot of people have their preferred brands but as long as you get the correct size, the correct voltage and the correct speed that will work with your CPU and logic board then the RAM will work.

Now I may spend a few more dollars for a well known brand of RAM but that is a personal preference.

So as long as you put in at least:
    1600 MHz PC3-12800 DDR3 SO-DIMM SDRAM (204 PIN)
    Low Voltage 1.35V RAM

it will work.

17. Gundams thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, thank you for letting me know. Now i need to start saving up some more cash to get an ssd. If you or anyone else has any advice on anything else i should purchase, it would be very appreciated.

----------

would it also be possible to upgrade the graphics card. Im happy with job the NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 1024 MB, but if there is something better i can install, then that might be the first thing i purchase.

18. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

This Crucial RAM works in the Haswell iMacs. I am using 16GB of it together with 16GB of Apple stock Elpida.