iMac Ram UK

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lc25, Mar 18, 2011.

1. lc25 macrumors 6502

So i just bought a 27" iMac and want to up the ram to either 16GB or 12 my question is this. Where within the UK is the cheapest place to buy iMac ram which works , I am currently looking at buying the 16GB kit from OWC in the USA as forum users have confirmed no issues with it.

Thanks LC

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Any RAM with compatible specs (PC3-10600, DDR3 1333MHz, SODIMM) should work. No need to buy "Apple/Mac certified" RAM.

3. Norphy macrumors newbie

I bought Kingston's recommended part for the 27" iMac from CBC Computers. I've been running two of those plus the two 2GB modules that came with the Mac since November.

4. lc25 thread starter macrumors 6502

I was hesitant to buy 16gb of ram from crucial as people had been experiencing random shutdown problems with some sets of 16gb ?

5. MST macrumors 6502

MST

I've used OWC for RAM on several occasions and can't help but sing they're praises, after ordering on a Sunday morning I had my RAM installed by the end of the week, they put the competition to shame and I saved a fortune.

That said the pound is a lot weaker than it once was, but my experiences with OWC still rate as some of the best online shopping experiences I've ever had, to the point that I sent them an email to say just that!

6. Flyer53 macrumors newbie

4GB Ram... up to 8 or make the move to 16..

Have a year old 27" Mac..Apple just replaced a bad hard drive..I'm running parallels, XP all for Quickbooks. I'm told I will see a difference from 4 to 8...question is, will going from 8 to 16 outweigh the cost of making that move.
    If 8 sounds the way to go would I do 2 4's leaving two slots for an additional 8 in the future..or as mentioned do the 16 now. Thanks in advance for any help.

7. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Another vote for Crucial here (http://www.crucial.com/uk for a direct link to the UK site): I've used Crucial Ram for the last 7 or 8 years and never had a single problem with any memory I've bought from them.
    The product's great, delivery is fast (normally next day) and the prices are low: I couldn't ask any more :)