iMac ram upgrade - Is value ram ok?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kimbobjones, Jan 13, 2008.

1. kimbobjones macrumors newbie

After the keynote I will be switching to the light and purchasing my first iMac and intend on installing 2X2Gb 667 sodimms to avoid the apple ram premium.
    From what I gather this isn't a problem, but when searching local computer outlet stores there are two variations from the well known brands.
    Value Ram and Standard. The only thing that seems to be different is the recommended timings on value ram are CL5 instead of CL4. Both have the same claimed production standards and lifetime warranty.
    Will this affect the iMac performance?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

As far a timings go, they are more important for PC users when overclocking memory.

At one point CL5 was the norm and would have cost the same as the CL4 does now, so as long as you're buying a good brand, the CL5 will be fine.

I wouldn't use unbranded or a cheap brand of memory because they tend to be very unreliable, but the likes of Kingston, Crutial, GeIL, Corsair, etc should all be fine for you

3. kimbobjones thread starter macrumors newbie

4. stomer macrumors 6502a

I would say that you should avoid value ram like the plague. In my experience, value ram or non-branded generic ram has always led to stability problems. I never had a problem with Crucial/Micron.