Imac Ram upgrade question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by asherman55, Oct 10, 2011.

1. asherman55 macrumors newbie

I am soon going to be adding ram to my IMac (21.5 Late 2009) it will be 2x4gb. I was wondering if it is worth it to leave my current 2x2gb in the first 2 slots or take them out cause they might make it run single channel instead of dual channel and make it less efficient.

2. simsaladimbamba

The effect of dual channel is negligible, better use the 12GB RAM than the 8GB RAM.

3. asherman55 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok so you dont have to have all the same ram sizes?

4. simsaladimbamba

Yes.

5. heimbachae macrumors regular

heimbachae

X2. just make sure you have the same manufacturer of your RAM installed. i bought crucial ram and it was the same type of RAM that my 2009 iMac came with. plugged it in, and i've been running with 12gigs of RAM for about 6 months now, no hiccups.

6. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Incorrect, as long as the specifications meet Apples standards the manufacturer doesn't matter.

7. heimbachae, Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2011

heimbachae macrumors regular

heimbachae

wouldn't you feel safer at night knowing all your ram came from the same golden goose? i know i do. do you know that it doesn't matter from experience?

edit: here's an example. you go to the grocery store deli and ask the clerk for some yellow american. he says "what kind, bore's head, giant or land-o-lakes?" now, you know they are all yellow american, and they all taste the same and are practically made all the same way.... but they AREN'T the same because they are not all made the same way. get it?

8. JonasDK macrumors member

No. Not at all, actually.

As rkaufmann87 said, as long as the specifications meet Apples standards the manufacturer does NOT matter. And yes, I know that from experience.

9. Dresevski macrumors 6502

Manufacturer doesn't matter as long as the modules you receive in the mail aren't duds. I have 8GB of Crucial and 4GB of the stock stuff-works perfectly

10. heimbachae macrumors regular

heimbachae

I ordered crucial too. When I did I took out the old RAM and checked. It came from the same manufacturer overseas. Crucial just puts their brand on the one side.

Maybe I'm just paranoid since I work as a solid state technician, and I know not all of the "same" products are made in the same quality, but I would NEVER stick 4 different manufacturers RAM into my iMac even if they are technically the "same".