iMac RAM upgrade question...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mullock87, Sep 5, 2016.

1. mullock87 macrumors member

I'm about to buy a new 5k 27" iMac with the stock 8GB RAM and will be buying Crucial RAM to upgrade it myself to 32GB.

Will the iMac come with 2 x 4GB sticks or a 1 x 8GB stick?

If it comes with the a single 8GB stick, will everything be compatible if I install 3 x 8GB sticks (Crucial RAM) or should I buy 4 x 8GB sticks instead?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

I'd wager it would come with 2 x 4GB sticks. I'm 100% certain on that.

To err on the side of caution, I'd buy a 32GB Crucial kit (4x8GB) and then fit those. If it comes with 1x8GB DIMM from stock, I'd replace that anyway with the one from the Crucial kit and then sell the 8GB DIMM. Then come back here and quote this post to correct me; I'll be ready for the torrent of abuse if I missed the mark. :oops:

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

It comes with 2x 4gb. You could just get 2 X 8gb and install in the free slots for 24gb total, you don't state your usage but that's enough for the vast majority of users.

4. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

That machine can support up to 64GB of RAM. C'mon, deck that baby out. Heck, OWC will even buy your two 4GB sticks that ship in the iMac.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

I do know, my advice tries to be based on what people need, not pointless spec chasing that will cost a lot for no appreciable gain.

6. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

For an extra $100, Apple will sell you a sense of humor, bundled with a free base-model sarcasm detection device.

7. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

24gb seems like a lot. Seems like good advice. What would have to be doing to even notice a difference from more memory?

8. mpe macrumors regular

From factory iMacs come with low-end Hynix 2x4GB CL13 1866 MHz modules.

Two slots remain free. But it is better to take them out and replace them with premium modules anyway when upgrading.

9. Rmonster macrumors member

Rmonster

You're my favourite person on here for this comment alone!