iMac RAM upgrade - what to do with the spare modules?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Lankyman, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Lankyman macrumors 68000

Can anyone assist? My work colleague has recently purchased the base i5 iMac with 4gig of RAM. He now wishes to upgrade to 8gig (seen a good deal for this from Crucial). My colleagues question is this - when he gets the RAM 2x 4gig modules he was wondering what he could do with the 4gig that's pre-installed 2x2gig. Can he simply leave it in making 12gig in total or will that not work?

Even though I have the iMac and the new Mini I had to confess that I didn't know the answer but said I would ask on here.

2. simsaladimbamba

Yes, your colleague can leave the two 2GB modules inside to have a total of 12GB.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

4. Lankyman thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for that guys. Just one more question, more for my own interest, do you always have to install the RAM as pairs?

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Nope, you can install it however you want.

6. JamSandwich macrumors regular

I've stopped paying so much attention to tech, but I know back in the day, pairing identical DIMMs offered some degree of performance benefit thanks to dual-channel architecture. Is this still the case?

I don't think the performance gain was huge -- maybe 10%? -- but enough that I'd rather install in pairs.

7. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It does provide a benefit, but mostly in theory and benchmarks. RAM is already so fast that that 10% doesn't come into play unless you are working with huge amounts of data transfer. But I think the question was asked because it used to be that you had to put them in pairs or it just wouldn't work.

8. DJJAZZYJET macrumors 6502

you should put them into pairs, that way they are optimized for dual channeling. WHen i bought my ram from crucial, it said on the box " dual channel kit, install this ram in pairs right down to the chip count"