Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I was very lucky one week and had 2 iMacs show up at my house (not mine, but borrowing them). One is an iMac DV+ Ruby with a 450 G3, 20GB HD, and 64MB of RAM (which I upgraded to 192 with a 128 DIMM I had lying around) and the other is an iMac G4 700 with a Combo drive, 40GB HD, and 256MB of RAM. I am looking to upgrade the RAM in both machines, as the Ruby is in use by my sister as her primary machine and the iMac is damn cool.

I have two questions: How much RAM should I put in each machine? Both are running OS 10.2.4. I am thinking I should buy a 512MB DIMM for the Ruby since it would be $41 and a 256MB SODIMM for the G4 since that would be $29. Also, can I use PC133 memory in the Ruby? I tried a 256MB DIMM (left over from when I had PC133 RAM in my PC) and it didn't work (machine would not boot).

Thanks.

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
i have a summer 2001 imac (the generation after the dv) and it actually shipped with a 128mb pc133 stick inside (even though the bus is the same old 100mhz and the innards are the same except for the mhz and vram). from other reports i've heard, 133 vs. 100 on the crt imacs seems to be a hit or miss business but you may want to try putting the 256 chip and 64 chip in both possible arrangements and trying to start the machine. you should also make sure that the 256 chip is from a reputable source as some chips don't work at all (although if it worked in your pc, it should work in the mac). i have 384 in my imac and things only get choppy if i'm running several media intensive apps like photoshop/safari/itunes at the same time, so the 512 and 128 chips in the crt should be plenty.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Re: iMac RAM Upgrade

Originally posted by ibookin'@mwny
I have two questions: How much RAM should I put in each machine? Both are running OS 10.2.4. I am thinking I should buy a 512MB DIMM for the Ruby since it would be $41 and a 256MB SODIMM for the G4 since that would be $29. Also, can I use PC133 memory in the Ruby? I tried a 256MB DIMM (left over from when I had PC133 RAM in my PC) and it didn't work (machine would not boot).
as much as you want because i know what you're gonna do with that iMac josh :p
exactly what i did with my alubook :D

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Re: Re: iMac RAM Upgrade

Originally posted by übergeek
as much as you want because i know what you're gonna do with that iMac josh :p
exactly what i did with my alubook :D

Talk about an inside joke...:rolleyes:

:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.