iMac Ram Usage

Discussion in 'iMac' started by nidserz, Sep 29, 2008.

1. nidserz macrumors 6502a

nidserz

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Hi all,

I have a 20" 2.66ghz iMac with 2gb ram.
    When I restart my computer and open up my programs: msn messenger, adobe cs3, mail, firefox, and cross over games + counter strike I have ~1gb memory in use. However, after a few hours memory usage goes up to 1.5gb and I quit everything except msn and firefox, but memory usage is still over 1gb.

I'm not sure if I am reading activity monitor wrong because it has: free, active, inactive, used.

I'm confused so if anybody could explain or advise me that would be really helpful. Thanks!

Oh and I'm thinking of upping to 4gb by xmas.

2. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

In a nutshell - free memory is completely unused (or wasted) memory. There shouldn't be much unused memory unless the computer recently started.

The sum of free+inactive is of interest however, but what really matters is the page in/page out ratio.

Check out the support article Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor for a breakdown of the different labels (free, inactive, wired etc).

3. keekl macrumors regular

keekl

Thanks for the info~"search" is faster than new threads:)