iMac ram

Discussion in 'iMac' started by nesteaaa, Aug 21, 2011.

1. nesteaaa macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of purchasing the new iMac and installing my own ram. I understand there are 4 slots for ram. If i were to keep the 2 sticks (2x2) that comes stock with it, could I just add another 2 sticks (2x2) resulting in 8g of ram? is there any drawback to this method vs a 2x4. Thanks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes, you can do that and there should be now drawbacks, other than the fact that there is no room for future upgrades (2x4GB leaves two slots free).

3. nesteaaa thread starter macrumors newbie

just for future reference, would adding two sticks of ram with different values cause drawback i.e. a 2x2 + 2x4 resulting in 12 total. thanks in advance.

4. Akoiso macrumors newbie

I haven't had any drawback at all with 2x2gb + 2x4gb= 12gb of ram. I just installed it the other day went with the owc ram.

5. majkom macrumors 65816

iMac is ram sensitive

Be aware - iMac use to be very sensitive on RAM! I had imac 2011 entry model and upgraded by two 2GB models - it caused me several system crasheh (never ever seen before on various types of apple computers). So, i switched those two new modules, again system crasehs - finally, with my apple resseler, we tried to switch all 4 modules (two original from apple, two newly added) for 4 modules of same brand - finally it works flawlesly.

btw - all new modules bought by me were apple recommended - all bought from applre premium reseller.

6. obsidian1200 macrumors 6502

obsidian1200

Cool, I was wondering about this myself (google results can't seem to agree on the subject of mixing RAM values with the iMac). Glad to see it's possible.

7. JonasDK macrumors member

Absolutely no problems here with mixing RAM values. Did not buy from Apple Premium Reseller either.

.. went with Crucial