Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thewalkingkenny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2015
My 2017 iMac randomly wakes up and looks like this. This started happening more with MacOS Mojave. Anyone know what’s up?

Attachments

• 7CE0FF56-E374-4224-BF57-89AF249026B3.jpeg
    7CE0FF56-E374-4224-BF57-89AF249026B3.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 340

SecuritySteve

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2017
California
Looks like a GPU or monitor hardware fault to me, possibly a bad connection. When you try to interact with it, does the screen correct itself or does it retain that off-color image?

SecuritySteve

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2017
California
It goes dark then wakes up looking normal.
That is pretty bizarre. I would boot in diagnostic mode to see if anything comes up. If nothing comes up, here's a couple possible reasons:

1) You disabled SIP for some reason to use an application that modifies kernel extensions (drivers) or adds its own. These extensions may be interfering with your system's sleep.
2) You have an external device connected to your system that is "soft waking" your system, allowing for things like power nap to work. The soft wake is misbehaving as a result.
3) You have an application that is running in the background that is causing problems during sleep. Older applications with deprecated functions may be at fault.

If it is none of those three things, and your diagnostic turns up nothing, I would boot in recovery mode and reinstall macOS. If that does not help, time to take it into an Apple store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.