iMac Randomly Disconnects Bluetooth and USB

Discussion in 'iMac' started by GrizBrew, Jan 21, 2015.

1. GrizBrew macrumors newbie

What I have: 27in iMac late 2014, i7, 16GB RAM, SSD, OSX 10.10.1

Wired Peripherals: Onyx Blackjack, 2 partition NAS, 2x24in Apple Cinema Displays, Anker 9 port USB 3 hub

Bluetooth Peripherals: Apple Magic Mouse, Magic Trackpad, and Apple Wireless keyboard.

Other: Mobile mouse app for iOS (which uses WiFi and is fully functional during the rest of these issues)

The Deal: So, what is going on is my machine randomly stops responding to bluetooth devices and USB inputs. I thought it was only after sleeping but today it did it while I was using the machine. I plugged in a wired keyboard and the USB port came back to life (evidenced by the Blackjack lighting back up), although the keyboard input still did not work.

This started out of nowhere. I have owned the machine for over 3 months and it just randomly started. I was still on Mavericks at the time and upgraded in hopes it would fix it. No dice! In fact, it came with a new problem.

When I upgraded to Yosemite, it also started randomly ejecting my external disks, which I have found a work around for by turning off spotlight on those disks. Lame

I have tried the usual fixes, disconnected and reconnected all peripherals one at a time, reset SMC, reset NVRAM/PRAM, Permission repairs, cleared caches (I use Onyx). I even tried deleting the bluetooth plist file. No love...I live 250 miles from the nearest Apple Store and really don't want to be without my machine if I can avoid it.

Anybody have any ideas before I file a warranty claim?

2. Benzowner macrumors newbie

My mouse and keyboard "power down" to conserve battery life. I have not had my Mac for very long, and I do wonder if there is a control to tell the devices when to shut down, like the screen saver time. That maybe your problem with the bluetooth peripherals.