iMac randomly shuts off and won't restart.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Cranberry2, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Cranberry2 macrumors newbie

Anyone else have this problem?

I have my 8 month old iMac in the shop for the 3rd time in a month due to "power supply issues". What would you guys do at this point? I know computers go south, but this is 3 weeks out of 5 which has now put me far behind with work. I just got it back last night and took 6 days off job#1 to catch up on business.... and this morning shut off and would not come on again this morning. I'm just very disappointed that the product and service isn't worth the 3 grand I paid for. Do you think this will be resolved or should I switch back to PC?

:-(

2. Spike88, Sep 30, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2011

Spike88 macrumors 6502a

Still under 1 year default warranty? If so, I'd call Apple and inquire a complete replacement. Especially since its your 3rd repair attempt.

Replace with PC? It's a free world and everyone has a freedom of choice.

If wondering, my iMac has been "flawless" since day 1. After 1 month initial burn-in time period, I installed 3rd party fan software (with fans running 300 RPMs above default) to keep its insides 5-10 Cs cooler. She's been running great since then.... Thus, there is "keepers" out there.

3. Cranberry2 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's still under the 1 year warranty, but I also bought the Apple Care soI'm covered for 3. I've discussed replacement, they said AFTER the 3rd time... so if I bring it in again.

It's not that I want to go PC, but I'm loosing money with my business with this. I could cover 1 incident, but not 3 in 5 weeks. It takes them a week each time to "fix" it. A PC is the only thing I can afford after paying 3 grand for this + a couple grand in software. One solution from Apple was to go buy another computer o_O

I know there are "keepers" out there. I did a lot of research before I made the switch. I'm indeed very disappointed about the quality of the one I received, but I'm even more so disappointed in the quality of customer service. I would even be a happy customer despite the lemon if they were being nicer to me. But I feel like I'm at the DMV. I'm here sitting by the phone for the last 90 minutes awaiting for the call back they said would be 15. Dealing with this has taken up my whole day *sigh*

I guess I expected them to stand behind their product a little more.

4. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

Cranberry2

Let us know how your situation turns out. re: Your 3rd repair visit.

I hope they (Apple) stops jerking you around and gives you a new iMac replacement. And, it's an immediate flawless keeper. I have my fingers crossed for you...