iMac randomly shutting off, any ideas?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AlexGoneApple, Jun 17, 2015.

1. AlexGoneApple macrumors newbie

AlexGoneApple

Brought my iMac in (specs below) about 4 weeks ago to the Apple Genius Bar. It had started to shut down (completely shutting off) randomly. What happens is it would shut off, I'd leave it unplugged for anywhere between 10 minutes to a couple hours and it'd turn back on. But it'd shut off again at varying times. Sometimes it'd let me use it for days without it shutting down and sometimes it'd shut down during the boot-up.

I thought I was going to have to pay for the repair, but they said I was very close and had a couple days left on my Apple Care.

The Genius bar couldn't figure out what was wrong with it so they kept it for a couple days. They called me about 4 days later saying the hard-drive was the cause and they needed to replace it. I got it back about a week later. It worked fine until a week ago today. Then it started shutting down again.

I haven't had time to bring it in yet. What do you think it could be? Bad logic board? I did a hardware online diagnostics boot and it came back clean saying everything was fine. I've changed outlets and still not helping. Isn't there a battery in the logic board that could go bad.?

Also, since they didn't repair what was wrong with it the first time, would they fix it for free since my Apple Care is now expired?

One more thing, it seems to have a small correlation to how long I leave it unplugged for. For example, if I leave it off overnight it'll run for about 2 hours and if I only leave it off for an hour it'll shut down after 30 minutes of running.

Specs-
    iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2011)
    2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
    12 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Thanks in advance,
    Alex

2. macthefork macrumors 6502

Does it feel hot to the touch at the top of the iMac when it shuts down?

I'd bring it right back to the Apple store and tell them it wasn't fixed and is still shutting down.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You will have 90 days warranty on the replaced parts, in any case.
    And, it's likely that Apple will offer to fix it further, as you now have a recorded incident, with repairs as part of that incident. That (usually) will get you an exception on your AppleCare, so that you can proceed to a better resolution.
    I agree - take it back.