iMac reboot from original CD now cannot update

Discussion in 'iMac' started by thebowman, Aug 27, 2011.

1. thebowman macrumors newbie

I recently installed Snow Leopard on my wife's iMac and the partitioned using boot camp assistant and loaded Windows XP SP2. I installed drivers and software for a new Canon MP280 printer on the Mac OS went through testing and printing, which all worked fine. I then tried to install drivers and software for the MP280 on the Windows XP. Windows did not recognize the printer. I continued to add MS Office to the Windows partition and then magically Windows recognized the printer as a plug and play so I loaded the software and drivers to be sure it would work later. When I tried to print. I restarted to Mac OS and tried to print, the printer que screen stated that the printer was idle. I tried re-installing drivers and software with no change. I did a restore from Time Machine. This did not solve the printer problem. I small window appeared asking to install GROWL. I did to know what that was, however since then I believe has something to do with some software installed from the Seagate portable HDD. From here things went from bad to worse the iMac froze.

I forced the iMac to shut down. When I tried to start it the grey screen with the choices for drives/partitions came up even though I did not touch the option key. The two choices were Windows or EFI. I chose EFI and Windows booted.

I finally booted from the original iMac OSX CD 10.4.7 holding down the C key. amazingly all files were there up to about 04/08/11. I verified disk and repaired permissions. I then tried do a software update which would not work the result was a freeze again. After several restarts and unsuccessful update attempts I tried to load Snow Leopard; it to was unsuccessful and resulted in a freeze.

Help

2. thebowman thread starter macrumors newbie

I have erased and restore the iMac. All is well except the printer is not recognized after loading drivers and software. Could something wrong with the printer?