iMac recall question on re-instal

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MiniD3, Jul 6, 2015.

1. MiniD3 macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Hi Guys,
    My Daughter had one of the iMacs that were recalled to have the HDD replaced,
    She did a full back-up with Time Machine before she took it i for service

The service centre said that she would lose all data, and would have to re-load from the back-up when she got the iMac back

2 Questions
    1. How do you "re-load" the back-up done with time machine?
    2. She also has Parallels and Windows, will the back-up include those as well?

..........Gary

2. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Assuming they reload the OS before returning it, the startup dialog will ask if you want to migrate your data from a Time Machine backup. Yes, your backup will have the Windows virtual-machine files unless you specifically excluded them in Time Machine options. If you had a bootable BootCamp Windows installation however, that would not have been on the TM backup.

If they don't put the OS on the disk (shame on them), you can boot to your TM backup and reinstall OS X from there, then migrate the rest of your data as above.

3. MiniD3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Tks for your reply,
    Just had a sms from my Daughter, the service centre said they would re-load the OS back in.
    The service centre wanted $380 to migrate the data from the time machine back, so,
    with the help of you guys, will try it out ourselves
    Regards,
    Gary

4. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

I had a HDD replaced on a recall on a late '09 iMac and if I recall the store I took it to transferred all of my files so I did not transfer them myself.

5. MiniD3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Your lucky, good to hear, not much competition here so the customer comes last I guess