iMac Redesign Imminent.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by connor.e, Jul 28, 2012.

1. connor.e macrumors member

Due to the recent spew of rumours regarding certain screen lamination issues with the new iMacs, shouldn't this lead us to believe that Apple is changing the design?

Why suddenly have this problem arise now, if they continue with the original design from 2009? :confused:

Perhaps they are adopting the thinner screen technology/matte finish from the rMBP? I would like to know some thoughts on this.

Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you take the time to search or browse the forum, you'll find literally dozens of threads where this is being discussed in great detail, such as these:

What to expect from iMac 2012 - Discussion (which you've already posted in)
    New thinner iMac
    iMac redesign in late 2012
    Hold on, an iMac is comming!
    Besides ivy bridge, is anything else changing with the iMacs?

3. washburn macrumors 6502

yeah I thought about this too, it must be the new display that this issue is arising from also there were rumors of the iMac being thinner, can't wait!

4. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

Why does the iMac need to be thinner it's thin enough as it is , they should keep it the same as it is(though I wouldn't mind a redesign) and if they cut down the width of the screen great then that would mean more air flow.

5. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

iMacs doesnt need to be thinner. In fact they don't really need a redesign either. They are great looking all ready. But it's in apples nature to do so. Can they make it thinner they will. Look at the development of iPods, currently I think they are almost too thin and small, I preferred the older designs. And My kid has an iPod touch, with metal back. I gotta say it's too thin. It so thin that its almost uncomfortable to hold. But, If apple could have made it even thinner I think they would have. A least that's what Steve jobs would have wanted. So look more at apples philosophy rather than what you would prefer, then there's a chance the iMac will get thinner and with less chin if possible.

6. Woolcott macrumors member

Woolcott

I really couldn't give two proverbials about whether we get a redesign either, I just want 2012 specs for 2012 money! I'll be stuffed if I'm going to pay up to install my own RAM and SSD either. C'mon Apple, for pity's sake bring it out before the Back To School programme for this year is up!

7. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

There is little to no evidence that new iMacs will even be released; let alone redesigned.

8. radiohed macrumors regular

The wait for a new iMac and Mini has gone on for so long that I actually lost interest. :p It seems like Apple cares more about iOS devices these days.

9. washburn macrumors 6502

agreed

because of the way laptop sales have been and the tablet explosion, Apple sees that updating the desktop is not so important anymore since the current iMac does everything just fine, also there hasn't been huge developments in speed and features in the desktop PCs in the last few years, its all laptop/tablet focused now.

10. Woolcott macrumors member

Woolcott

True, but I think the majority of people aren't waiting for a major leap forward any more, they just don't want to spend £1500 or more on something which gets replaced in a matter of weeks. Apple could just whack in Ivy Bridge and I suspect quite a few people would jump on it.

11. mrmarts macrumors 65816

I see a new design trend following the MacBook pro retina, for the iMac next year which will bring the retina non reflective display and possibly bring back the 30" display from the grave. The form will be slimmer and I would not be surprised if apple starts incrementally bringing an all flash architecture to the iMac and dropping the optical drive as rumored.

As for this year well its going be another quiet one however what you do get is ivy bridge USB 3.0, Bluetooth 4.0, more thunderbolt ports, and memory bumps to 8gb just in time for mountain lion.

These are just some of my thoughts

12. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

no redesign this year, just spec bump in october. THen I really don´t understand what Apple is up to...it has to be more than that or they are really loosing it. not that I care if its a spec bump, but then it should be out today.

13. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

Exactly. Even if they've got some big grand plan, they should have foreseen delays or issues for the most part and released an interim spec bump right after Ivy Bridge processors became available.

14. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

I can't see that happening, especially with Apple's push towards lighter, thinner, more portable devices in general. Not that portability applies to the iMac, but it seems antithetical to their approach.

15. connor.e thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the feedback guys. I heartily agree. We need an update soon. I'm going into film production at York University with a 2010 13 inch MBP with a C2D. I want a quad core!

I still stand by my original thought of this delay being a sort of "given" that we'd see something changed in the 2012 design. Here's hoping for a September/October release! :rolleyes:

16. bugbear99 macrumors member

Dose anyone have ever look into PC market?

I was wondering if i could build a PC to play game i like until new iMac is release, so i do some research on building a new PC.

However, i found out there is already 3way 4way SLI for GPUs.
    you don't even need $2000 to create a monster for gaming in PC world.

Look at our iMac.. there is single GPU and its for mobile.

What's wrong with apple? is Mac user suppose not to play games? or Mac user have to upgrade their machines on every new release to keep the performance?

I need mac for my work and i also wanna play games, and definitely don't wanna to have 2 machine. And i will not use my laptop at home.

What apple really need to do on iMac is to bump up the performance rather than the so call retina, or redesign or thiner? who would need that on a desktop?

17. IPlayFair macrumors member

IOS devices account for 70% of Apple revenues, wouldn't you. Evidence here.

18. edry.hilario macrumors 6502a

i dont know why people say they dont want a new design id love to have a new design, weve been having the same one since 2009!!! what?!?.. i dont mind the current design but i much much rather have a new design with better screen and probably less reflective glass YES PLEASE!! if people want the same design buy the 2011 version.. i just dont get it.

19. Major.Robto macrumors 6502

To be honest I hope we get another 24inch imac,

I want to upgrade to a new imac but I dont want to lose the screen space.

I got a small desk you see and the imac is perfect on the desk.

20. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

The ironic part is that the iMac has the best GPU of ANY other all-in-one in the market today. Seriously though, stop comparing an iMac to a desktop PC with a tower. Compare it to those ****** PC all-in-ones, and you get a better built machine with more features that can run OSX AND Windows and still be able to play the latest games for the best price.

There are PC all-in-ones just as expensive as the iMac with only 1080p screens and GPUs that are not even half as good. If you really think you need 3-way SLI, just get a PC call it a day.

I going to Cal Poly Pomona next year to study Civil Engineering and need a new Mac. If there is no refresh by the time school starts, I'm getting a non-retina MBP 15in and dual booting Windows 7 on it.

21. bonafide macrumors regular

I have a mid-2007 iMac and I am overdue for a new computer. So when the new iMacs come out... I will be purchasing one. However, the question remains... what do you I do with the mid-2007 model?

I have already upgraded it over the years (4 GB RAM, 2 TB HD)... so I don't want to just recycle it.

Any ideas?

22. Atisha macrumors member

This is an honest question, after some of the fumes have cleared after last week:

Do people in all honesty believe that maybe something went wrong with the new iMacs and that Apple is working on it? It just doesn't make sense in any way why they would delay it so long. Even if they were planning to focus primarily on laptops for Mac OS, wouldn't they announce that? Wouldn't they release something to ease the transition?

Does it really take away significant company resources to update something like an iMac? Even with gaming consoles I read that the companies make no profit, or even lose money with each sale, but it's to support the platform in which they earn money.

Do you think maybe the mythical Apple television is in store for us, and it's actually an iMac with tools available to watch TV? Do we honestly believe that Tim Cook doesn't care about Mac fans and he's vicious enough to just give us the shaft? There must be some reason, none of it makes any sense.

23. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

• Sell it.
    • Give it to a friend or family member.
    • Take all of the new parts out of it, like the the hard drive, and recycle the rest.

24. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

1....doubt you´ll get much for it :D

I have a maxed out early top model 2009 with 8gb ram. I have no plans of trying to sell it, ain´t worth much today.

----------

I think something went wrong yes, which makes for a small delay. But in difference with f.example an iphone, they don´t turn the company around to fix the delay... -while if there were a delay would be on an iphone, Cook would probably fly down to China and make a big scene...like they did when jobs refused having plastic screen on the first iphone.

25. Roller macrumors 68020

People are asking ~$600 for 2007 iMacs on eBay. I don't know what they're getting, but even half that isn't so bad. OTOH, nothing wrong with giving it away, either.