Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PurdueBio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
I was wondering what you all thought about a future iMac refresh/update, with emphasis on physical redesign rather than specifications.

Of course Apple has moved to the new theme with most of the products (aluminum with black border, from the white plastic), but they could still redesign while keeping this brand. For example, by removing the iMac "lip" making it look more like the Apple displays. Do you all think this is something Apple will do in the near future, or do you think they will keep the current style for a while? When do you think a likely date would be for a physical redesign?

I wonder how long they will stay with the "aluminum" theme for all the products...

lordsion

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2009
Australia
I was wondering what you all thought about a future iMac refresh/update, with emphasis on physical redesign rather than specifications.

Of course Apple has moved to the new theme with most of the products (aluminum with black border, from the white plastic), but they could still redesign while keeping this brand. For example, by removing the iMac "lip" making it look more like the Apple displays. Do you all think this is something Apple will do in the near future, or do you think they will keep the current style for a while? When do you think a likely date would be for a physical redesign?

I wonder how long they will stay with the "aluminum" theme for all the products...

Aluminum will stay for a long time i think - about the same or even longer than 'white' did before.

I think a CD super drive somehow built into the foot would be cool, it would have a bigger foot, however lower the screen down and it should be OK, the drive will be faster and more easy for Blue-Ray etc ! It would only be a cm or two thicker at the foot i think. the cord can run inside the mac foot.

jb1280

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2009
didn't they just make the foot even more tapered, so I doubt making it thicker would make much sense, never mind having to completely rethink the way the stand for the iMac functions. Among other things, if you move the drive there, what happens for those who want VESA brackets?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.