imac refresh buying question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by agentdcooper, Mar 14, 2012.

  1. agentdcooper macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2012
    #1
    Hi there,

    I'm new here and I would like to ask what are the drawbacks of purchasing the refreshed imac 2012 on the day of the refresh and not waiting one or two months after release, as some people on forums have suggested?

    Surely it must be fine to buy the machine immediately if you are willing to install updates, if they are needed?

    Thanks.
     
  2. forty2j macrumors 68030

    forty2j

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2008
    Location:
    NJ
    #2
    As with most technology, early adopters tend to experience higher manufacturing defect rates. You increase your likelihood of needing to run back to Apple a few times trading in the box until one is perfect if you buy from the first batch.

    Lately, with Macs and iPads these have frequently been screen problems. They can be in one of two general categories:
    - Light bleeding from the edge - this is a genuine defect, and Apple needs to replace the device
    - Yellow tinge on the screen - almost always, this is glue from attaching the screen. It needs time to dry properly, and if the first batch is rushed, it won't have that time. It clears up after some time of usage.
     
  3. agentdcooper thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2012
    #3
    buying a refreshed imac

    So if the imac comes out in april, it shouldn't be bought till june or july?
     
  4. forty2j macrumors 68030

    forty2j

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2008
    Location:
    NJ
    #4
    Well that depends on your eagerness, need, and willingness to tolerate issues.

    Personally, I plan to roll the dice and get in on the first batch. But I also have 3 Apple Stores with very nice people in short driving distance, should I need them.
     
  5. kboretti macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2012
    #5
    Hey whats your thoughts on the refresh? Would you guess april sometime?
     
  6. forty2j macrumors 68030

    forty2j

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2008
    Location:
    NJ
    #6
    My crystal ball says early May, not long after the April 29 Intel ivy bridge street date. But please understand this is only an educated guess based on publicly posted component rumors.
     
  7. matbook101 macrumors 6502

    matbook101

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2010
    Location:
    In the secret land of Cupertino.
    #7
    I suggest not waiting as it will most likely be a minor refresh, maybe a small processor upgrade. Plus, if you buy the 2011 models you can get some really good deals! I just ordered the 27" 2.7GHz i5, 4GB, 1TB for $1500!
     

Share This Page