iMac Refresh or wait

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 3runjosh, Nov 26, 2010.

1. 3runjosh, Nov 26, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2010

3runjosh macrumors member

Hi, I am currently using a Mac Pro 2008 2 x 2.8GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon with 6GB 800MHz DDR2 FD-DIMM NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512mb.

It is a great machine no doubt but I am loving the iMacs I use at work. I am really looking for an all in one computer be it the iMac or the mbp and I was wondering with all the rumors for the refresh of the iMac early next year would it be a big upgrade from my current set up or should I wait for the refresh after that before I purchase my next. I plan on keeping the iMac until its death and hearing about lightpeak etc to me is a good insight to upgrade. I would really love a SSD drive as my OS + App drive.

So big question is. iMac on next refresh, or the one after that? I'd like to feel a significant jump in performance and my current screen is 24" and i'd like the 27" though I could hold out on this for another year and a half or however long it takes for the 2nd refresh to come around. Thanks!

Edit:

Apps used:
    CS5 Design Premium package (photoshop, illustrator, indesign etc)
    Corel Painter 11
    Luxology Modo 401 (very basic modelling for underlaying my paintings with good perspective)
    Autodesk Sketchbook Pro 2011

I don't play games apart from ps3

2. qawes macrumors regular

qawes

You'll feel a significant bump in performance only if you upgrade to the high-end models.
    IMO, put an SSD in the MP and wait for the 2nd refresh.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If your current computer still does its job, don't upgrade, yet.

4. 3runjosh thread starter macrumors member

I have decided to keep what I got for now. In the 2nd refresh I will most likely upgrade to the iMac. How long does an iMac usually last until it is well worth upgrading to keep up with software performance?

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you get the top-of-the-line iMac, then I would say you can hold on till 2013-2014 as iMac should then get 8-core CPUs. Then it would likely be about twice as fast but even the current gen will be fine for ~4 years. When you start feeling that it's slow, then upgrade

6. 3runjosh thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Hellhammer

I will continue using my Mac Pro until it starts to feel slow then look at upgrade options. I should have went with this plan from the start since it is the most logical, money wise.

7. Sargiel macrumors member

I bought my 24" 2.33Ghz 7600 iMac in April '07 (admittedly not when it was a new refresh - I think my spec had been out about 6 months prior to that) and I've reached the point now where it needs updating if I'm to run the latest games (yes ... I'm a Mac Gamer :D ). So I would say you get at least a good 3 years out of your machine and possibly a lot more depending on what you use it for.

I can't see myself updating until later next year though as it's a great little machine and more than enough for my day to day - if not Civ 5 :)

8. 3runjosh, Nov 27, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010

3runjosh thread starter macrumors member

I really want a 27" screen. I currently have the 24" and I was just thinking it is probably not worth getting a screen by itself than getting the imac because soon enough my mac pro will need an update and in the long run cost more money than getting the imac27". Now my current 24 is still running fine and I can still work on it fine. The 27" is leaning toward more of the want factor rather than the need but I do see benefits working on 27 with good performance over a 24 especially with environment painting.

If I bought just the 27" screen right now then when i upgrade my mac pro i would have to upgrade to like a mac mini or mbp lol. I don't need portability and can get way better value for dollar with the imac over the mbp so I am stuck with this 24" until I get the iMac because getting just a screen is well out of the question imo unless someone else has something to add in that regard.

Edit:
    I don't want another Mac Pro because they are overkill for my needs and extra $$ for nothing.

Does anyone see advantage of running a Mac Mini for digital painting in like 10 years when they become superior to my current mac pro haha