iMac Refresh - Possibly 5th July

Discussion in 'iMac' started by miniroll32, Jun 29, 2010.

1. miniroll32 macrumors 65816

miniroll32

Just been shopping on Amazon.co.uk and after searching for the 21.5" iMacs, the dispatch information has changed significantly; something that only last week was normal

The baseline iMac (9400M, 500GB) was originally out of stock and the message below the price stated that Amazon didn't know when it would be back in stock, but its been refreshed as 'In Stock on July 5th', which is of course a Monday... Update day for Apple.

The high-end iMac (ATi, 1TB) is even more interesting as it is no longer sold through Amazon themselves - only a third party company, with no information regarding when it would be back in stock, etc.

Could this be a sign that the high-end model is going to be discontinued and the baseline model being refreshed? Perhaps the high-end model is going to be replaced by something else........

Your thoughts

2. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

Apple's update day is usually a Tuesday..... LOL!!!

3. stevenvw macrumors newbie

Hope not .. just bought a 27" model yesterday :confused:

4. Vylen macrumors 65816

The fact they know when it's coming back in stock means that there's nothing special going on. Just means well, that they'll be getting a new shipment of machines to sell.

Prior to the Mac Mini refresh, *multiple* resellers didn't know when they would get additional stock for their empty Mac Mini shelves - for any future refresh, look for the same symptoms.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i feel that the iMac updates will be more towards September/october - :)

6. Commenter macrumors member

iMacs suddenly shipping 6 days from now in one store in one little island isn't really reason to get too excited (Amazon.com and Amazon.fr show not a blip).

However, Apple could've told Amazon "yeah, we'll get you iMacs the fifth, don't worry, everything's cool" and we could very well see refreshed iMacs Monday or Tuesday—I've said July is reasonable and why: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=952993

7. Queso Suspended

Don't Apple normally update iMacs in time to stock the channel for back-to-school purchases? So an update Late July/Early August?

EDIT : Just checked on MacTracker and since the Intel transition there's no real pattern. Any time between July and October.

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yea you might be right. i guess we will find out soon :)

9. miniroll32 thread starter macrumors 65816

miniroll32

It was just a thought anyway, the 27"s have the same date too. Thanks :)

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

IIRC normally they would follow intels releases (c2d extreme etc) - but since the flop of the i7s have been released already they might be waiting for something else....?

11. dexthageek macrumors 6502

Same here! I ordered one thursday night. However, I got the i7, and I doubt we will see any changes in the processor on the high-end iMac, just a slight GPU bump. I also ordered a refurb, there wont be any of the new release refurbs for some time.

12. Pachang macrumors regular

And so it begins......

Waiting for arrandale 2.0

13. IndustrialSpace macrumors 6502a

July 5th?? Don't tease us!

Not a good launch day anyhoo... due to the US Holiday of July 4th.

14. dwarnecke11 macrumors 6502

Good - I need the new iMac before I can get the iPhone 4. My old Mini is running 10.3 :p

15. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

If you look at the buyers guide then you can see that the past few iMac updates have been going in 11 (months) - 8 - 11 - 8 so the next update should be in September

16. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

Oh dear...

Well I just got a 27" Corei7 on friday night and its plenty capable and my screen looks great, no yellow sheen or other weird problems (no dead pixels either from what I can see).

Not too inspired to lug it back unless the new one uses half the electricity, is more powerful than a 8-core mac pro and has the video card of a high end gaming pc.

17. Eduardo1971 macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

Prediction failure.

I see you are from the UK but in the US the 5th of July is when Independence Day is Observed.

Nice try.

18. Vylen macrumors 65816

American Holiday/History failure.

You mean 4th of July....

19. Eduardo1971 macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

Nope. But I see your point. Independence Day is the 4th of July but since the fourth falls on a Sunday (this year)-the fourth is observed on the 5th of July.:eek:

20. aelalfy macrumors 6502a

Big Mistake man, you know the iMac is due for a revision soon right? Its inevidable, when is the question. july 5th is too early for me. I think apple will try to run out their first touch screen iMac by end of this year. So I wonder if the july 5th is something to think about or just amzon not having stock.

21. Vylen macrumors 65816

Pfft... suuure... cover your tracks with your fancy dates and technicalities :p

22. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian