Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'iMac' started by Sam Spade, Jun 10, 2013.
Any word of a refresh today at WWDC?
No word. If there had been, it would've made the Front Page or the Mac Blog already.
So, what seems to be the consensus...a silent refresh soon or more likely an update at the end of the year?
a silent refresh soon with Haswell processors (same with macbook pro retina)
G-d I hope you're right! I've been specing out a 27" iMac with Fusion drive, i7 and 680MX video but was waiting till today to see what Apple announced. I was disappointed when I didn't see anything about it. How long do you think the wait will be?
I'm not convinced it will be soon, but I suspect that at some point between July-December, there will be a refresh that includes Haswell and the new wifi card.
Is it worth waiting
If its just Haswell and Wifi, do you think its worth waiting for? I know Haswell has a 10% increase in performance but i don't know if thats worth waiting for (as it could be months) ugh...
Also probably new graphics cards. Is it worth waiting? It depends on what you use your system for and if your current system will last that long.
I'm trying to decide this for myself, as we speak.
I don't think Haswell is worth the wait. I've really been looking forward to 802.11ac wifi, but still not sure it's worth waiting weeks or (likely) months for. The one thing that does keep me waiting, though, is the prospect of more SSD options and better SSD pricing. I would love to see a 1TB option.
I think if I knew for sure that there would be no other SSD changes in 2013, I would go ahead and order today.
Ill be using it mainly for photo editing, sometimes video editing in Premier Pro - so i know the current would be sufficient... but the refresh might be just that much better haha... i wish they just told us what would happen.
I think i will buy the current one just because i cannot wait a few months for a possible upgrade of maybe 10%...
Also i was wondering if new graphics cards would be able to use the Mercury Playback in Premier Pro - does anyone know?
Also, there is some speculation that Mavericks will be released in October, so Apple might (likely, I think) refresh the iMac at the same time.
I don't think I will wait until October for a refresh.
Based on todays conference the new iMacs as i thought will have Intel's latest Haswell processors, and the new ac wifi standard, but do you think that the new iMacs will get thunderbolt 2.0 and graphics cards capable of 4k resolution like the Mac Pro later this year.
Just ordered iMac not waiting to see lol
Oh my god it's so hard to decide, cancel my order or just press ahead
I'm not sure that the upcoming iMacs will get Thunderbolt 2.0 just yet. And as for 4K support? I guess it depends on the graphics option. And also, there is always the lingering question of will the new iMac have a retina display.
Filp a coin? I guess the question boils down do you just want a new iMac or do you need one for your usage?
I think it's highly unlikely that any potential upcoming "refresh" would be more than Haswell, wifi, and SSD (long shot).
IMO, anything beyond that would come in 2014. Or possibly end of 2013, if there's no refresh before that.
Surely you've been on this site long enough to know there's no such thing as a consensus!
My money is on September, with 5% CPU bump, 10% GPU bump, 802.11ac, and .. that's it. Retina as separate models at WWDC 2014, becoming the standard in 2015.
Here's something new to consider that may be part of an iMac refresh.
The MBA's PCIe-based flash storage is approaching 800 MB/s read and write.
Surely this would be incorporated into an iMac update?
Only if they make Fusion standard. Which would be nice, but I wouldn't bank on it.
Why only if they make Fusion standard?
I'm in the same boat, except my current mac is dead. Need one soon.
iMac is my cheapest option regarding power.
See if one of the refurbished 2012 models meets your needs to save some money.
Just seems to me it would be a substantial investment to make in the chipset for something that would be optional equipment.
Ahh, makes sense from that point of view. I expect SSD only options and Fusion options. And I think that would be enough to trigger the redesign even if they still have HD only as an option.
It would allow them to use the same SSDs across all products except maybe the new Mac Pro. This would be an inventory management cost savings.
Any time you get a new machine, a new one will be announced months later. If you want one now, go ahead and get it. I'm on my 2010 iMac and everything still runs beautifully.