iMac refresh.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cypriot, Aug 26, 2014.

1. cypriot, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2014

cypriot macrumors regular

A friend of mine who is a reseller told me that distributors are not getting imacs because there is a high possibility of a refresh very soon. I know this may not be very reliable source but i feel those spinner hdds need to go.

2. WorldTravelBro macrumors member

980M comes out in October. My guess is late october - early novemeber in time for the holidays for a 980M iMac. :cool:

3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

With due respect to your friend, he is guessing. No one, repeat no one but Apple knows when new machines are scheduled to be announced and released.

4. BillS111 macrumors newbie

Is the 980M the iMac Retina that has been rumored?

5. WorldTravelBro macrumors member

980m is the upcoming video card

6. BillS111 macrumors newbie

oh cool, thanks..... i assume this card will be in the iMac Retina that comes out?

7. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

ummmm.... that's only likely if the 980M is still current when an iMac retina comes out. It could be long out of date by then. I've seen more rumours about rumours of a retina iMac than I've seen actual rumours. Fact, I don't think I've seen any rumours about this for a long time.

8. Serban Suspended

Seems that at October event will be indeed a retina iMac with 980M and standard 16 Gb RAM like in the 15" Macbook Pro lineup

9. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

Have you got a source or a reference for this?

10. HipsterGG macrumors member

HipsterGG

Resellers do not know anything upfront. Maybe only a day or two. But not weeks up front. Seriously, anyone who tells you that is a scam. They don't know a thing. Everything they say is based on rumors.

I do work at an Apple Reseller for three years now and we've never known anything up front.

11. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

After the un-upgradeble mess of the last iMac refresh im on Hackintosh only now.

Johnny Ive has turned the mac into a throwaway cheap toaster in a brushed metal case... Cheap parts, no user serviceability or upgradablity, and designed to not last longer than 2-3 years so you buy another.

Cya Apple, its been a fun ride, but im getting off now that you've become a corporate greed machine.

12. insane79 macrumors 6502

Good for you, now lets stick to the topic.

What about the september event coming up, could be a small speed bump there but no retina for sure..

13. cypriot thread starter macrumors regular

I am guessing (or wishing) there will be ssd's in all imacs and 16 gb RAM updates to soldered except the cheap base imacs they will stay 8 gb.

14. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

Ask him where the Mac Mini refresh is.

15. cypriot thread starter macrumors regular

iMac refresh.

My friend dont know anything. He only said they ordered 27' imacs and distrubutors told him they dont have any because a refresh is expected. So he said there is a high possibility that new models are coming soon. He didnt say he knows what apple will do.

16. Serban Suspended

In October will be the event with iMac refresh included.

17. cebseb macrumors regular

Do you have a separate source for this or are you just speculating?

18. dazzer21 macrumors 6502

19. KiXeR macrumors member

KiXeR

I hope so, need imac nooooow :cool:.

20. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

Retina is no use unless they start putting in decent graphics cards, which they wont do because they couldn't cool a decent 4K capable part in the iMac.

Id rather have 1080p and a graphics card that can decimate everything thrown at it at that resolution, than a retina 4k+ screen that i have to either watch a slide show on because the video card cant drive it, or drop the resoltuion so it goes blurry because again the video card cant drive it.

Apples "Innovations" are not always good, they might drop Retina Displays, and faster CPUs, but without the graphics ooomph to drive those screens its like putting monster truck tyres on a peddle bike.

21. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

I remember when waiting for the late 2012 iMac. I read rumours like these almost every day. And then suddenly stock went up again, and rumours were bogus. Even Apple store employees stated similar rumours, but it took months before it came anyway. So, even as much I wish for a new iMac to be released, I don't believe it before I see it anymore.

22. insane79 macrumors 6502

dunno about the ssd drives but for sure the 27" will come with 16gb ram standard now.

23. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

Whenever the update happens, if Phil is onstage touting some new hardware with the system specs on the wall behind him, and there are 5400RPM spinners, he's getting booed.

24. omenatarhuri macrumors 6502a

If your so upset about Apple's products why not hang around with the Hackintosh buddies, say at Tonymacx86? They've got a great forum!

25. Balckoutgr macrumors newbie

Sad but true.
    What a waste of resources from a so called enviromental friendly company