iMac Refurbs eligible for Applecare?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by macmesser, Oct 21, 2015.

1. macmesser macrumors 6502a

Saw a good deal on a coupon web site which shall remain nameless (group-) for an iMac MC309 quad core i5. My sister needs one so I want to get it but I'm not sure if it will be eligible for Applecare. Anyone know if it would be? Does it need to have been refurbed by Apple? The site's support didn't know and told me to check with Apple but their store no longer has live chat. Thanks in advance for sharing.

2. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

It all depends on their version of 'refurbished'. If the computer was bought from Apple by the selling company as a refurbished computer, then it is likely that Applecare can be added. In my opinion, this is unlikely. More likely, this computer was sold and later returned for some unknown reason or was bought on the resell market and is now being resold. So whether this computer is eligible for Applecare depends on when the computer was first sold. If it was more than 12 months ago, it will not be eligible for Applecare.

Since this is a mid-2011 model, I highly doubt it will have Applecare available.

3. macmesser thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I kind of thought so, especially since it comes with logitec wireless K+M. They did buy a lot of them though, as over 600 have been sold. The Apple store is still selling these refurbed for about $300 more with Apple accessories. If Apple just unloaded some excess refurbs maybe they will be Applecare eligible as that's a nice profit center for Apple.

4. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

The only 21.5" iMacs Apple has had on their refurb site over the past 3 months are 2013 or 2014 models which is at least two generations newer than the model you mentioned. Make sure you are comparing apples to apples (no pun intended).

5. macmesser thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I was going by model number.

6. iceman42 macrumors regular

you can buy applecare if you are buying it from apples refurbished online store.