iMac Refurbs

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Malone1878, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Malone1878 macrumors member

Cannot see any refurbished iMac's on the store at all in the UK , anyone else experiencing the same issue ?

2. mickydes macrumors newbie

If they do not show up there are none there to buy at the moment, just keep checking and they turn up as i bought one on saturday.

3. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Just keep checking back. Make sure you're ready to place your order if you see one. They don't hang around long. About 17% of standard list price as I recall to.

4. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

Which one? How much? What spec?

I'm tempted to go refurb rather than new iMac to upgrade my 2007 iMac...

5. mickydes macrumors newbie

I just got the base model 21.5 with i5 and 500gb hard drive just this is my 1st mac and paid £819 for it.

6. rpg51 macrumors 6502

rpg51

I just bought refurb base model mid 2011 iMac 21.5 (i5 and 500gb) and had it drop shipped to OWC where they will install internal SSD second drive and beef up ram and then ship to me. Hope to have it next week.

I have a MBA and I've gotten used to the SSD and can't imagine going back to spinning disks for my boot drive. SSD is a HUGE improvement in my opinion.

7. agedge macrumors member

I got a base on the weekend. Goto www.refurb.me/uk and setup an email notification. Then go and buy when you get the notification.

8. d0nK macrumors 6502

I want to know where all the old stock goes. My Dad wants to buy a 2011 iMac brand new, old stock (he's not impressed with the 2012 21.5"). Some people here say that Apple puts their old stock into the refurbished section. The word "refurbished" is off-putting to my Dad as it usually means that the box has been opened.

I keep checking but have yet to see even 1 refurb iMac on the Apple store and John Lewis hasn't had any in stock for the last week.

9. rpg51 macrumors 6502

rpg51

Can't answer but - my view is that refurb means less chance of problems because the problems have been discovered and fixed. I could not care less about the color of the box. So I see it as cheaper AND better. No brainer if there ever was one.

10. mickydes macrumors newbie

Well had mine for a day now and was like new and no marks on it.

11. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

What sort of box did it come in? What OS version was on it?

Does it look new? Any marks? Did you get any extras, eg upgraded HDD or RAM?

Are you going to get applecare for it?

I'm still tempted and keeping an eye on the refurb store. Also someone selling a 27" version for 1000 which I'm tempted with...

12. rpg51 macrumors 6502

rpg51

I've purchased two MacBook Air's, a Thunderbolt Monitor and various other small items and they have all been perfect - exactly as new just not in fancy box.

13. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

Thanks never heard of that site, have set up a alert.

How much do you think (I'm in UK), my current iMac would be worth, to offset the new one video buy?

It's a 2007 20" C2D 2GHz, 4Gb RAM, 320Gb HDD, SL, great condition, boxed.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Refurbs come in a plain box.
    • Apple Certified Refurbished Products are available online from the Apple Refurb Store and are not sold in local Apple stores
    • Educational discounts do not apply to refurb products.
    • Refurb products come with the same warranty as new products, and qualify for AppleCare
    • Refurb products have a changed serial number that identifies them as refurbished
    • Refurb products come with whatever OS version and software they originally shipped with as new
    • Refurb products come with the same items in the box as new products, only the box is a plain one, not the new box.
    • A refurb product could have some cosmetic signs of prior use, but rarely do
    • A refurb Mac may have some cycles on the battery, but not a significant enough amount to affect usable life
    • The refurb store inventory changes frequently, sometimes several times a day, and doesn't have any direct relation to upcoming product releases. What's available in the refurb store is determined by what has been returned to Apple.
    • If you're looking for a particular item, refurb.me can alert you when it becomes available.

15. hockeyamd macrumors member

Refurb units can not be return to an Apple store only via phone.

16. TRMC13 macrumors member

Actually they can. I've done it several times.

17. hockeyamd macrumors member

Both the apple store in Bridgeport and Washington square in Oregon refused to let me return my defective one in store.

18. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

Which is it then? Is there an official Apple line on it? Could go on Apple store chat and ask suppose. This is a negative if so that you can't return to an apple store for support.

I've tried 2 email addresses in refurb me site, but don't receive a link to confirm them...

19. DF1234 macrumors newbie

I have taken two back to local Apple Store and they accepted them with no problems. One had a faulty ethernet card and the other one was working fine. All have looked brand new and I would never hesitate to buy refurb. A great deal with the warranty of a brand new one.

20. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

Just been on to Apple UK store chat, and you can take to apple retail stores for appointments, support, repairs etc

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, you can always take refurbs to your local Apple store for support or service issues, just like new models.

22. agedge macrumors member

I got mine on Tuesday to ... It looked new.. plain box tho... it had mountain lion on it so no update reqd. no extras... checked the serial number and the website says the build date is October 12... Could be Apple empty the supply chain of excess stock..

23. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Refurbs are given a new serial number that identifies them as refurbs, so the build date is likely the date it was refurbished, not the original build date.

24. rwcooper macrumors newbie

Something similar happened in Canada. There were only a couple of iMac models available for days, but this afternoon more models appeared including the 3.4Ghz i7, so I ordered one.

25. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

How much? (converted to UK), and why did you pick this one please