iMac reliability

Discussion in 'iMac' started by DELTAsnake, Jun 12, 2009.

1. DELTAsnake macrumors 6502

DELTAsnake

I am finding that I need to call Apple every couple of weeks for various technical problems with my iMac. The latest was OSX crashed and then wouldn't boot, resetting the PRAM and SMC is usually how Apple fixes the problems.

Is it normal to have technical problems every couple of weeks with a new iMac?

I'm thinking I might have gotten a bad iMac and I'm not sure where to go from here.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

No it's not. I've had my iMac for three months now with zero problems

3. DELTAsnake thread starter macrumors 6502

DELTAsnake

OK, so if problems are not normal, dose anyone know how I should go about sorting this out? I just want my iMac to run without trouble.

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...contact :apple:, you're under warranty...

5. ayasinsk macrumors regular

I had my iMac for almost 2 years now. Never a single problem. Everything works same as the day I bought it. OS froze once or twice tops over 2 yers so I had to reboot it, that's about it.

6. itommyboy macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

Delta - have you ever wiped everything and done a fresh install of OSX from DVD? I'd suggest doing this before losing your computer on a send in to Apple. After fully updating then either bring in data from backups (time machine etc) or folder by folder - or just run clean.

See how that treats you for a couple of weeks. If things don't improve after that (along with PRAM resets and the normal Apple Tech hoops to jump through) then you may want to try and sweet talk :apple: for a new machine. Just keep screaming at them "it's a lemon damn it - it's a L E M O N!"

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Still, that sounds peculiar. I'd take it to Apple for either some tweaking, or to have it replaced.

My iMac is over a year old and my MacBook is 2 1/2 years old - I've never even so much as had to reset the PRAM on them, let alone reinstall anything.

8. DELTAsnake thread starter macrumors 6502

DELTAsnake

I did have to do that when the Bootcamp install of Windows decided to take over control of the OSX partition when I was in the manager utility. I guess next time I have to call them I'll tell them I want it fixed or replaced.

9. UMHurricanes34 macrumors 65816

UMHurricanes34

I can't comment on the newest revisions, but I have the very first intel revision iMac (2.0Ghz Core Duo) and the first unit I received had a faulty power supply, shutting off or sometimes not even turning on. The second one is still running strong to this day. I also have a mid-2007 Aluminum revision 24" 2.4Ghz iMac that since day one has refused to keep a quality and consistent connection to my Airport WiFi running in the house. It's been so annoying and frustrating that I bought an Airport Express and hooked it up to the iMac's ethernet port. The quality control and consistency of these computers have definitely decreased over the years, but every model has it's problems and every manufacture provides it's lemons.

Call Apple and they'll take care of you. I've never been dissatisfied with Apple support and service, no matter how much it sucks to carry an iMac under your arm through a mall.

10. DELTAsnake thread starter macrumors 6502

DELTAsnake

I spoke to the Apple Certified Tech at the local Mac store (not an Apple owned store). He basically agreed something is wrong and he'll look at it under Applecare for me. He's the same guy Apple would get to fix it anyway if they said it needed to be fixed, so I may as well get him to look at it instead of just trying to convince some guy over the phone that it needs to be fixed.