Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bjewett

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
Champaign, IL
I hope this isn't a FAQ (I searched...) but I'm asking about how easy it is to repair the HD (fusion or otherwise) on the 27" 2012 iMac.

I was hesitant to buy the new aerodynamic (hits floor faster?) iMac first because of heat - which, from posts here, sounds like are not an issue (true? for extended CPU-heavy tasks?). OK, so if that works -

Hard drives all fail, just a matter of time. Assume I do backups (I do). When my fusion or other non-pure-SSD drive fails in my 27" 2012, how fixable is it? I've heard the screen has to come off, but then I heard that wasn't a huge deal after all (chisel in front, or metal-cutting circular saw in back, not req'd).

So I still have my dual-2.3 PMG5, so I keep hardware long after Applecare is gone. Excluding warranty, will the 27" be fixable down the road? Potential buyer would like to know. Thanks!

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
I hope this isn't a FAQ (I searched...) but I'm asking about how easy it is to repair the HD (fusion or otherwise) on the 27" 2012 iMac.

I was hesitant to buy the new aerodynamic (hits floor faster?) iMac first because of heat - which, from posts here, sounds like are not an issue (true? for extended CPU-heavy tasks?). OK, so if that works -

Hard drives all fail, just a matter of time. Assume I do backups (I do). When my fusion or other non-pure-SSD drive fails in my 27" 2012, how fixable is it? I've heard the screen has to come off, but then I heard that wasn't a huge deal after all (chisel in front, or metal-cutting circular saw in back, not req'd).

So I still have my dual-2.3 PMG5, so I keep hardware long after Applecare is gone. Excluding warranty, will the 27" be fixable down the road? Potential buyer would like to know. Thanks!

If you mean for a user/owner to repair the 2012 iMacs are the least repairable ever made. However if you mean by a certified Apple technician then they are as repairable as any given the tech has necessary training, tools and experience. The HD inside (including Fusion drives) are just as replaceable as any.

However speculating after the fact, meaning after you have taken ownership isn't productive. Just enjoy the machine, hopefully you will get many years of enjoyable, trouble free ownership.

bjewett

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
Champaign, IL
iMac 2012 27", or not

If you mean for a user/owner to repair the 2012 iMacs are the least repairable ever made. However if you mean by a certified Apple technician then they are as repairable as any given the tech has necessary training, tools and experience. The HD inside (including Fusion drives) are just as replaceable as any.

However speculating after the fact, meaning after you have taken ownership isn't productive. Just enjoy the machine, hopefully you will get many years of enjoyable, trouble free ownership.

No, I'm a potential owner. I thought I read somewhere that the teardown for the HD replacement wasn't so bad after all. Another search after your comment looks pretty grim. Maybe I'm looking at a 2011 (if I can find one) or waiting on a Mac Pro, after all :(

philmed1008

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2013
No, I'm a potential owner. I thought I read somewhere that the teardown for the HD replacement wasn't so bad after all. Another search after your comment looks pretty grim. Maybe I'm looking at a 2011 (if I can find one) or waiting on a Mac Pro, after all :(

Long story my new 21.5inch hit the floor on new years day. Dented casing a crack and spider web from the impact point. LCD and machine working fine, because of construction it was an insurance write off! Just for small dent and cracked sheet of glass! So not repairable at all.

New one has now developed a fault and I am booked in with a genius tomorrow. Aside from that it is a spectacularly good machine! First mac and i'll never go back! :):)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.