iMac replaced HD and now loud fan noise

Discussion in 'macOS' started by grifter730, May 7, 2015.

1. grifter730, May 7, 2015
    Last edited: May 7, 2015

grifter730 macrumors newbie

I'm running an '08 model iMac, and was using OSX 10.6.8 for the longest time. Then my HD failed, and I took it in for repair. The guy replaced the HD, and upgraded the OS to 10.7.4. He said he didn't want to put in Yosemite since he was afraid it would slow the computer down too much.

I get home, and turn it on, and the fan just seems so loud. I don't think it's my imagination, but I'm not sure what it is. I installed SSD Fan Control, but I'm not really sure what any of this stuff means. All I have running right now is Chrome with about 7 tabs open (forum and gmail tabs), and the stats says:

Hard Disk: 1500 RPM, 47 degrees Celsius
    Optical Drive: 700 RPM, 41 degrees Celsius

I don't really know if those are normal or not, but the fans seem so loud. I've tried resetting the SMC three times. Didn't help one bit.

Am I just imagining the noise because I've been without it for a few days? I don't think it was ever this loud :(

2. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Whoever replaced your hard drive forgot to reconnect the heat sensor (or worse broke it)

3. grifter730 thread starter macrumors newbie

So, what should the fan speed be for those temperatures I mentioned above...?

I'll call up the guy tomorrow. If it's a simple issue of just reconnecting it, it'd be great. If it's broken....... T_T

4. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

For those temps the fan should be inaudible- not sure what speed that would equate to

5. grifter730 thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone else have any idea what the fan speed should be?

6. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

You'd probably get more responses if you ask the mods to move this thread to the iMac sub forum in the Hardware area