iMac replacement HDD question?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by alksion, Oct 25, 2012.

1. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

My computer qualifies for the HDD replacement program, but it is still under AppleCare. I was wondering if anyone had success with them removing the Seagate drive and simply giving the customer the new replacement drive by itself?

My AppleCare expires in January and I want to install an SSD in there instead of the 1TB, but would love to get the new HDD for an external drive.

Do you think this is possible?

2. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

You have been active enough to know the answer to your question. :eek:

3. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

I don't think that method is doable. I think you should drop the iMac for the replacement, and when you get the new drive, THEN take iot out.

4. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

How so?

----------

Haha that's actually a simple idea that I over looked a bit ignorantly. Thanks again. I shall do that.

5. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

Holy crap, I just realized I made what could be a critical typo.

"I don't think that method is doable. I think you should drop OFF the iMac for the replacement, and when you get the new drive, THEN take it out."

I know most people may notice that I didn't mean to literally push it off the desk, but just in case.......

6. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

I just don't see Apple handing over a HDD to a consumer. Apple's policy seems to be limit consumer involved with the internals of their products except for the Mac Pro. It will be interesting to see how Apple responds to your request.

7. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

It's all good! I got what you were saying..

Yeah, you're actually right. That's why I am just going to get it replaced and take it out when they're done.

8. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

I received my iMac back yesterday and after a long restore it feels like a new machine with its new HDD and screen.