iMac replacement in an Apple Store?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Testify, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Testify macrumors member

Let me explain my situation.

I live 2 hours away from the Montreal Apple Store.

Saturday I called AppleCare because my 3rd party Apple Retail changed my display 3 times now. After a while, the dude said that they would give me a new one.

Now, I dont mind the trip to Montreal to make the exchange but is that possible? Or do I have to ship it?

I will call back the Apple dude tonight but I wonder if any of you got this situation before?

Thanks.

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Where did you purchase the iMac, online or in store? Usually it's better to replace/exchange how and where you ordered it but both are Apple so both should still be able to do it. If you're in no hurry, I would do it through SSO since the turnaround time is pretty fast.

3. Testify thread starter macrumors member

Well I bought it at the 3rd party store here in Quebec City. But since it's Apple that made the decision of exchanging the iMac, the 3rd party store isnt involved in that process.

I don't mind going throught shipping, it is just that I happen to be in Montreal this week for a business meeting and I could go to the Apple Store.

Thanks for the info, I will wait to hear from the tech support guy at Apple :)

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

There are quite a few threads on this. The 3rd Party store should handle the exchange/replacement process. Apple wouldn't necessarily help you out here since you didn't deal with them at the time of purchase.

5. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

This is.... not true.
    The place of original purchase would be where you go if you want to return your computer or get it replaced as a DOA.

In any other case beyond the original 14 day return period, you would go through Apple or a certified 3rd party repair.
    While in this case the 3rd party repair is the same as the point of purchase- the OP has already made separate arrangements through Applecare and will deal with apple directly from here out.
    As far as whether you can exchange in store- it seems that if you already put in a servicerequest, they should be shipping your box out already.

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Yeah you're right, I didn't read the post correctly, I thought this was a new computer within 14 days. Yes, Apple would take care of everything at this point.