iMac replacement issue

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Soulflower, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Soulflower macrumors regular

Soulflower

I have had an ongoing problem with my iMac. I have dealt with an Applecare senior advisor over the phone, taken it in to the service center, had an onsite visit and finally took it in to the Apple store.

Because the issue has not been resolved the guy at the Apple store told me today that they were going to replace the computer. I asked if they would be replacing it with a new or refurbished computer and he assured me that they didn't have refurbished items in the store and it would be new.

This led me to wonder later if it will be the same model iMac or the newer one. I believe there has been an update since I purchased mine. Has anyone had experience with this?

2. Drask macrumors regular

When i purchased my iMac early 2011 it came with snow leopard, then my HDD crashed (or something, it wouldn't boot) I got a replacement with a mid 2011 (came with lion), same model, same specs, just different OS, i believe it was now the second generation of processors, but still the same specs.

3. zarf2007 macrumors regular

This has happened to a number of people and if you have say a 2008 imac they will replace it with a 2011 one of an equivalent spec....so you could do very well out of it!

4. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

That's awesome! I would love to get a brand new iMac out of my Applecare. Although with a bran new HDD they threw in and installment of 16GB RAM, it almost feel like a new computer!

5. Soulflower thread starter macrumors regular

Soulflower

My old iMac was a late 2009 model and I'm assuming the replacement will be the current 2012. Can you tell me what changes occurred from my old model to the current one?

Thanks so much!

6. zarf2007 macrumors regular

It will be the current (late 2011) model.

Just little things like better Screen, Processor (i5 blows core2duo away), better GPU, wireless N, better form factor......oh and you get Thunderbolt ports in addition to firewire & usb so future expansion for faster external storage is thrown in!!!

7. Soulflower thread starter macrumors regular

Soulflower

I got it and it is awesome. It was a real headache with a fabulous outcome!!!

8. Soulflower thread starter macrumors regular

Soulflower

9. zarf2007 macrumors regular

it actually supports up to 32GB, but the sweet spot is to buy another 8GB (2 x 4) and add that to make 12GB total, that will cover you for 99% of use.......:)

that way you leave the 2 x 2GB apple memory in place...

I bought from crucial and its fine.....