iMac replacement procedure ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by uzit, Jan 30, 2012.

1. uzit macrumors regular

Hey Guys,

My iMac has been having numerous problems with my current machine! logic board failure 3x, ram failure 2x etc.

Just e-mail an Apple advisor who has been helping me through this and I requested a replacement. He said we need to confirm the hardware issue so it will have to go back to a Apple Authorised Service. Is this normally how they do it?

My brothers Macbook Pro had problems 2 years back, they just sent out a shipping box and replaced etc. Or is it different for desktops?

Thanks

2. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

It's not normal and it sounds like something else is causing these problems - power surge, a short... who knows. Apple is pretty good about these things if under warranty and hopefully they will replace it. I had a Nikon D200 camera a few years ago, cost about $1,700 and it went in for service 5x in a year and half before they replaced it.

3. uzit thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah exactly my thought! Apple advisor will ring me in an hour so just waiting too see what he/she says.

4. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Be firm. Often the difference between getting your due is the difference between accepting their solution vs demanding what's right. Keep in mind the many hours of aggravation you had to endure to work with a expensive, but faulty product. Again, be firm and I suspect Apple will do the right thing.

5. uzit thread starter macrumors regular

They will repair it...again. I said what I needed to say but they said they can't do anything other then repairing it. But did say if this problem happens again they will replace it.

Oh well. :/

6. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Well I would have thought that 3 logic board failures would do it - 3x a charm, and 2 ram failures would be enough reason to replace but it is what it is. Hopefully, they will get it right this time. If not then make sure you have notes documenting the person and date you spoke to apple to make sure you get a replacement if things don't work out. 3 logic board failures on the same computer is not a symptom of 'just a bad board'. Anyway, it took 5 failures, 2 of which where the same problem, for Nikon to replace my camera.

Good luck.