iMac replacement?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by TGRGeorge, Nov 26, 2011.

1. TGRGeorge macrumors newbie

So I should be picking up my iMac tomorrow from taking it to apple because of constant kernel panics. So I was wondering if it came down to it and if the kernel panics kept on happening, would apple give me a brand new replacement or a refurbished model?

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Did you try a fresh install of OSX and still get kernel panics? Is it factory or aftermarket RAM?

They'll probably try to fix it before replacing it if it's a hardware problem.

3. TGRGeorge thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup, I i did about 3 fresh installs and everything is stock on it. This is also the second time taking it to apple and I purchased it in may of this year so it is still within the year of warranty.

4. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

I sure would want a replacement if I were in your situation.

5. TGRGeorge thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I'm hoping for as well.

6. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

They will say they want try a reasonable number of repairs before replacing it. What they determine is reasonable though is up to Apple.

7. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

If the machine is covered by AppleCare then Apple normally will replace the machine after 3 repairs for the same problem. If you are covered by the standard 1 years warranty, it's worth a try asking but don't be surprised if you are turned down. If that occurs and you're in the US you can call 800-767-2775 for customer relations. These people are more customer advocate oriented and can help if you have a solid case. As with customer service issue make sure when you're asking to be polite, firm, well organized with times, dates and receipts etc.

8. Lankyman macrumors 68000

That depends on the country where you live. In the UK with such a new machine then consumer law would say that if after two opportunities to fix the same fault the issue is not resolved then the customer should be given an option of a replacement or his money back. The consumer should also not be greatly inconvenienced by having to have the product repaired, so it's not actually up to Apple but for Apple to abide by consumer law.

9. TGRGeorge thread starter macrumors newbie

Just picked it up today, so far no kernel panics but the so called "geniuses" managed to dent and scratch some parts on it:mad: